Monday, December 7, 2015

Steadfast and Thankful

12/7/2015

Colossians 4.2 2 Continue steadfastly in prayer, being watchful in it with thanksgiving. – St. Paul

As is my custom, I read the Bible when I get up in the morning. I have an annual reading plan I follow and today the plan took me to Colossians. As I read I think about what I’m reading and see what stands out to me. Then I write about what I saw and how I think it spoke to me, or applies to me. So here goes: Monday, December 07, 2015.

Yesterday, we had quite a service in our gathering as a church. Our pastor has been suffering from intense pain in his lower back; others have physical issues they’re fighting with: kidney stones, shoulder injury, vertebrae in the neck, as well as things like job loss (a real pain as well) and bereavement. So we gathered the lame and hurting and bereaved and unemployed, and as a church, we prayed.

We prayed and declared God’s goodness and power, and asked for His divine intervention in the lives of those suffering. We rebuked sickness and disease (because really, that’s what we should do). And, we thanked God for what He is doing. Sometimes we don’t quite know what God is doing, but we always know He is up to something. So the idea is whether we know or not, trust that He is, and thank Him for the results. God loves our prayers and thanksgiving.

And we prayed with expectation. No use in praying for miracles if we’re not going to look for them. God is a God of miracles. We don’t need His miracles because we want to validate our faith; we need His miracles because we need His miracles! We need His healing, provision, comfort, direction, wisdom, and presence. (God is never really not present, but sometimes we sure act like He is off in the back forty of the universe somewhere and has forgotten who, where – and how – we are.)

Paul said, Continue steadfastly in prayer, being watchful in it with thanksgiving. Here’s what I get from that statement: pray faithfully and continually, faithfully watching for His answers. In other words, pray with expectation that our Great God is intimately involved in our lives and everyday affairs, and is presently and continually acting on our behalf. That’s just what God does. So look for it.

Paul didn’t communicate to us words to just make us feel better; no, he instructed us how to pray and live excitedly and expectantly with God no matter how we feel, or think. We’re to pray steadfastly always looking for God’s answers. Why else would we pray?

What do you need today that only God can supply? Where have your resources run short that only He can refill? What is it that the doctor says, well, that’s all we can do; that only God can finish? It’s not a matter of naming and claiming except in the sense of this: God, unless You do something, I’ll never make it. I’m praying and asking faithfully and continually because there is no one else to help me but You. Thank You God, that You know my needs and You’re acting on my behalf. Regardless of the outcome, I’m trusting You! So, I’m asking You.


Be steadfast in your asking and thankful in your watching – God is at work in our situation today.

No comments: