Tuesday, June 2, 2015

Miracle Max


06.02.15

Ephesians 3.20-21 20 Now to him who is able to do far more abundantly than all that we ask or think, according to the power at work within us, 21 to him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, forever and ever. Amen. – St. Paul

Certainly one of my more favorite movies is, The Princess Bride. I like the storyline, the plot, the characters, the wit and sarcasm, and especially (aptly portrayed by Billy Crystal) Miracle Max. I’m not sure if Miracle Max had any real miracle working power or his skills were just perceived. As Fezzik and Inigo are leaving with an unconscious and limp-bodied Wesley, Max says: Have fun stormin' da castle. His wife Valerie asks: Think it'll work? And Max quips: It would take a miracle. Miracle Max?

I know of at least two, no three people who could use a miracle right about now. Two of the three are in the grips of employment issues (may lose job/can’t find job) and the third has issues with income/finances. I think about them and I think: It would take a miracle.

I think, perhaps, Max epitomizes how many would characterize God: it would take a miracle. If only Max was real and we could just go to his cottage and have him whip up a chocolate-coated concoction laden with success. God, I need a miracle and I need one right now. Our problem is we see God as a Miracle-Maker – like He coughs something up for us that hopefully works: it would take a miracle.

All three of the people I’m thinking of need a miracle but more than that, they need the intervention of God in their lives and in their faith. Miracles aren’t the focus – growth of their faith is the focus. It’s not that they need a trinket from God, they need an experience of His Spirit to bring them joy, peace, and comfort if it all falls through the cracks. It’s: God I believe You and believe in You no matter if a miracle shows up or not. What’s most important is my relationship with You.

God is not a miracle Maker. God is God; and miracles don’t define Him; they’re an expression of His character and presence with us. How do we measure a miracle – is it getting what we really what despite impossible odds? What do we measure a miracle against; what is the standard for the miraculous; or is it just dumb luck? Miracle Max is dumb luck. God is our Provider.

I’d like God to do something completely un-thinkable in the lives of my three friends. I’d like for them to have a testimony that it was only God who could’ve done something that … miraculous. Miracles need to be measured on the level as something only God can do. Only God can part waters. Only God can make water into wine. Only God can raise the dead. Only God can do for my three amigos what they need. For the one whose job is on the line, God will provide another. For the one who is un-hire-able, God will provide employment. For the one who could use some cash, God owns the cattle on a thousand hills. God isn’t a miracle-maker – He just sometimes provides in inexplicable ways. We call that miraculous.

We don’t need to seek God for the miraculous; we simply need to honestly, humbly, and dependently ask: God I need Your help. I need a job. I need a solution. I need for You to come through. You’ve promised to provide and I’m expecting You, to do just that. I’ll leave the miracles to Max but look for the provision from You.

No comments: