Friday, June 19, 2015

Always Buying



06.19.15

Psalm 5.11 11 But let all who take refuge in you rejoice; let them ever sing for joy, and spread your protection over them, that those who love your name may exult in you. – Of David

Sometimes, my pastor takes a little getting used to: he encourages praise and celebration of the Lord at all times for all reasons. Many in the house are less expressive than he; arms folded, somber expressions, studious, and quiet. He calls for exuberant praise and usually gets a reluctant nod…maybe.

Perhaps we need to rethink why we gather together and do this thing called, church.

I read Psalm 5.11 today. It says: let them ever sing for joy…that those who love Your name may exult in You. I thought about that and the congregations of which I have been associated over the years; there hasn’t been much visible exultation. Maybe it’s a cultural thing. Maybe people simply say: I’m exultative in my heart; in my own private moments, alone, where nobody sees.  Maybe so.

Fair enough, but why aren't we when we’re together? Why aren’t we all happy and cheerful and expressive when we are together in the assembly of the saints, in the presence of our Lord? Why the quietness – that seems to be the last thing God wants from His kids. God likes parties. We need to party together every time we assemble in His Name. We love His Name don’t we? Don’t we?

Are we afraid of looking silly? Is rejoicing, singing with joy, and exultation too much to ask? Or are our services together – our meetings – supposed to be these serious, introspective, and somber affairs? Where in Scripture are we asked to do that?

Certainly there is the mandate to be still and know that He is God. We need to do that when we’re fearful (it happens) and anxious (it happens) and confused and harried, and doubting (they happen). But being still in front of Him is humbling ourselves to let go and let God be who He is. Be anxious for nothing; peace be with you; in all things with supplication and thanksgiving, let you requests be made known to God.

I’m guilty. I’m Mr. Expressionless in church. I’m Mr. I’m-going-to-somberly-take-this-all-in-and-judge-its-merit-and-worthiness. I’m too damn proud to humble myself and look silly in front of God and everybody. I think it boils down to pride. I’m too concerned about others than I am about God. I need God; I don’t need others. I need to express my worship of God in front of others and alongside others, but only God is going to meet my needs.

I’m going to try Psalm 5.11 on for size and get used to its ill-fitting but oh so necessary covering of exuberant praise. It’s a mandate for the courageous to meet. It’s a test of where my heart really is with God, who Alone, is my All; and is bringing me safely home to a party in Heaven where there’s millions of friends, and the fun never ends, and God is always buying…

No comments: