Sunday, June 7, 2015

Acceptance



06.07.15

Ephesians 1.5-6 5 Having predestinated us unto the adoption of children by Jesus Christ to himself, according to the good pleasure of his will, 6 To the praise of the glory of his grace, wherein he [has] made us accepted in the beloved. (KJV)

I laid in bed last night (in pre-crash mode) and thought about acceptance. Or, being accepted. I thought about relationships, team-building, church, and other things where acceptance is a key component of belonging. Acceptance is crucial to belonging. But acceptance is more than just preference or tolerance; acceptance is compassion, empathy, and vulnerability. Acceptance is intentionally going the extra mile.

A marriage makes or breaks in acceptance. And that’s where this whole thought process came from – the majesty and mystery of marriage.

To be married to someone, is to first be attracted to them. As time goes along, attraction may diminish, or be replaced by comfort and familiarity. Eventually, marriage gets down to the brass tacks of acceptance. When we are at our best, we are more acceptable than we are at our worst. When we are along in years however, the crucible of human behavior is perhaps put to the test, and infatuation and romance are long replaced with courage, wisdom, and acceptance. That isn’t to say that there isn’t affection and desire; but it is to say that they are viewed and used in an entirely new way. And acceptance is key.

To the Ephesians Paul wrote: Having predestinated us unto the adoption of children by Jesus Christ to himself, according to the good pleasure of his will, to the praise of the glory of his grace, wherein he hath made us accepted in the beloved. In Christ, God finds us acceptable. I believe God desires for even the worst of humanity to become acceptable. But only through Jesus Christ. And the only difference is this: I am never at my best with God – I am only ever at my worst and only accepted and acceptable in and through Jesus: who knew no sin and became sin for me so that I would inherit the righteousness of God, in and through Him – the Beloved – the Acceptable.

Acceptance is key but only available through Jesus Christ. God’s determination is for everyone to be accepted but the test is whether they are in Christ or not. I needn’t improve my performance (I can’t). I needn't seek to be improved (it is impossible). I need acceptance, and it is only mine through Him who took my sins upon Himself that He, and only He, would satisfy the demands of God’s justice and provide for me the acceptance I so desperately crave.

I fell asleep sometime after thinking about this. And today, I felt like sharing my thoughts with you. Are you accepted? Answering that question is worth losing a little sleep over…

No comments: