Sunday, June 14, 2015

The Thick and the Thin



06.14.15

Philippians 4.11-13 11 Not that I am speaking of being in need, for I have learned in whatever situation I am to be content. 12 I know how to be brought low, and I know how to abound. In any and every circumstance, I have learned the secret of facing plenty and hunger, abundance and need. 13 I can do all things through him who strengthens me. – St. Paul to the Philippians (ESV)

A caution for Bible verse memory is to remember to consider the context in which a verse (or certain verses) is found. I memorized Philippians 4.13 back in 1983 and it has been a precious reminder to me of what is possible to the saint who understands and believes in the power, presence, and provision of Christ. But it must be considered in its context.

In the above Paul said, “…for I have learned…”. Learning is paramount in the life of the believer. We needn’t worry about the lesson, the timing, or the result; God is in charge of all that. And Paul learned to be content. Situations and circumstances had no lasting effect on this man; he gave it all over to God. Lord, if I’m to be about Your business, then I am to remember that You are in charge; and You will provide all I need. (Cf. Philippians 4.19) That confidence requires experience, trust, and thanksgiving.

Paul went on to write, “I know how…” He knew how because he experienced and went through times of abundance and times of lack. He said, “I have learned the secret of facing…" both abundance and lack; plenty and hunger: the power and presence of God. And Paul confidently wrote: I can do all things through Him who strengthens me. He’d learned, he’d experienced, and he survived all because he trusted in God; in good times and not so good.

Much, or perhaps all, of our walk with the Lord boils down to trust. Do I trust God to meet all my needs – whatever, however, and how many there are? If the answer is yes, then I’m (like St. Paul) learning how to put God in charge of the things I need so that I can, in turn, focus on the things He wants me to do. God is my Paymaster; not me.

The point here is first: trusting God. The second: concentrating on what He has called me to do without getting caught up in the distractions of life: what shall I eat, what shall I wear, where will I live, what shall I do – the list goes on and on and on. Twofold trust: God guides, God provides.

My comfort in this today is in giving God time, and by trusting Him, I learn how to live in lack and abundance. And I learn how to keep my eyes focused on what it is I’m to be doing; and leaving all of the results up to God. Pretty simple formula.

Father God, if there is anything I’d like to do today it’s to take back all of the wasted time and energy I’ve spent worrying over how I’m going to do all of the things that only You can do. It makes me feel vulnerable and small when I try to give the details over to You; but that is exactly what You ask: Paul, give it all to Me, and watch and see how I get you through the thick and the thin – you need Me for both; don’t ever forget that. Lord, I’ll try not to. Help me when I do. Thank You! Amen.

No comments: