Monday, December 8, 2014

WIIFM Radio

12.08.14

1 Timothy 4.7b-8 Rather train yourself for godliness; 8 for while bodily training is of some value, godliness is of value in every way, as it holds promise for the present life and also for the life to come. St. Paul in his first letter to Timothy (ESV)

In my journeys I have discovered in life there is a famous radio station that almost everyone everywhere listens to: WIIFM – What’s-in-it-for-me. Everybody everywhere wants to know: what’s in it for them. Their decisions are largely based on the query whether it is spoken or not. If they see value, they’ll move; if they don’t, they won’t.

The apostle Paul, writing from prison to his protégé Timothy, made this statement: Rather train yourself for godliness; for while bodily training is of some value, godliness is of value in every way, as it holds promise for the present life and also for the life to come. What’s in it for me? Value in every way – and promise; both in the present life, and in the life to come.

What is value? Value is very intangible yet we all seem to understand it and seek it. If it benefits us in some way, we consider it to be valuable and we want it. Value can be placed on people, places, or things. However not everyone sees value the same way so while it is intangible it is also subjective. And here is where taking Paul’s comment on value requires faith.

Growing in God; growing in faith, requires looking at life and looking at value completely differently than most humans do. And so there is hope. But faith is required to accept value from God. The biggest value with God and godliness is relationship with God forever. What could be bigger than that? The power bill certainly isn’t. Unemployment certainly isn’t. But hope for a plan and a future certainly is – and God is incomparable in the plans for our lives with hope and a future.

Today, I look at godliness in my own life and see the need for training in godliness. I see that being strategic in how I live must be all about walking humbly with God through every season and situation of life. It must be all about walking humbly with God looking to Him in every aspect of who I am, and who I hope to be. What’s in it for me? God.


Father in Heaven, as I approach this day and consider all the things I think I must do today, may I be careful and strategic to include training in godliness – may I see everything I do through that filter. If it’s not training in godliness then I probably shouldn’t be giving it much attention. Father, help me today and to see that what’s in it for me is life with You for all eternity, and value in that life and in Your presence both now, and forevermore – Amen.

No comments: