Thursday, December 25, 2014

In Asking

12.25.14

1 John 5.14-15 14 And this is the confidence that we have toward him, that if we ask anything according to his will he hears us. 15 And if we know that he hears us in whatever we ask, we know that we have the requests that we have asked of him. St. John in letter One

What did you ask for, for Christmas? Did you ask? It seems this time of year there is a whole bunch of asking; a whole lot of list making, checking them twice, finding out who’s naughty or nice. I’m sure there was some coal delivered. And some disappointment. And a bunch of: I didn’t get as much as he got! Oh, the joys of Christmas…and the asking.

The apostle John wrote that we have confidence (in asking) that if we ask anything according to His will, He hears us. And then, if we know He hears us, we’ll also know that we have (from Him) the requests we have asked of Him. Sounds like a pretty good deal to me. But what, methinks, is asking according to His will? Is it like a blank check?

I think it’s partly a trust issue and partly a fellowship, or relationship issue. The one who knows God and walks with God is empowered by God to ask God for things he knows that the Lord is willing to give (according to God’s will).

When I pray for others, I like to include asking for God’s peace and presence. I think that’s in line with God’s will for us. When facing difficult things, I tend to ask God for peace, power, and presence – the power part being that of keeping on keeping on. The difficult things in life are hard to deal with but they seem to be better when I ask God for the power to trust Him in and throughout whatever it is I’m facing.

Asking God for things means – I think – asking honestly for what it is I think I need or want. As a friend of mine would say, God may answer, yes, no, wait, or, if you insist. But I think this is secondary to what the Lord is really working out in our lives, asking according to His will. So, I suppose, in order to do that we must know what it is His will is – right?

Or it may be simply asking with a heartfelt expectation that my Father knows my needs and delivers before I even mouth the words. And then seeking Him first – His Kingdom and righteousness – knowing that all my needs will be supplied.

So, what about that person I’m praying for to be saved and to come to know Jesus in spirit and truth? And the more I pray the worse they get. Isn’t that praying according to God’s will – God who is not willing that any should perish but all come to know and believe? Sooner or later something will happen.


Father, praying is talking to You, in conversation with You. It’s two-way communication. Father, when I ask that Your will be done and Your Kingdom come (on earth as it is in Heaven), I must have the confidence that You hear and grant. Your granting may not look the way I ask, but it will for-sure be because my words and yearnings line up with Your plan and purpose in this world. Today, Father I ask for peace on Earth and goodwill toward men that they may come to see You in all Your glory and goodness – Amen. 

No comments: