Sunday, December 14, 2014

Crap for a Reason

12.14.14

Hebrews 12.7 7 It is for discipline that you have to endure. God is treating you as sons. For what son is there whom his father does not discipline? The Author of Hebrews (ESV)

Yesterday, in Walmart in Ontario, I said to my wife (in a moment of understanding): I cannot let this thing (which will remain unnamed) steal my joy. She masterfully responded, Why would you!? I think she also meant: Why do you!? And then this morning I read Hebrews 12 and 13. And I read, It is for discipline that you have to endure. God is treating you as sons. For what son is there whom his father does not discipline? (12.7) And I thought, Hmmm…

Why does life happen the way it does? Why is much of life – as Yancey says – confusing and incomplete? The writer of Hebrews, under the leadership of the Holy Spirit, says: It is for discipline that you have to endure. God is treating you [as a son]. For what son is there whom his father does not discipline? Good question! Great question!

The issue is not our trials but God’s involvement in our trials. The writer calls them discipline. The writer assumes we all know that the crap we endure is crap for a reason. The writer assumes we all can find hope and comfort in the knowledge that God is allowing us to go through what we’re going through in order to grow us up, and grow up in us. (For many, God is simply too far away, or too small, to help them, understand them, or even care about them.) We endure because God is dealing with us about the things we won’t deal with and prevent us from experiencing Him fully. Many who suffer will tell us that God is far closer and real in their suffering than He is in their good times…

My joy was restored yesterday because in the flash of a moment, I understood how selfish and small I was being (in the unnamed). My joy was affirmed this morning when I read: It is for discipline (little Paul) that you have to endure. God is treating you as [His son]. [And] what son is there whom his father does not [or did not] discipline? Even if their discipline was only for a moment and far short of its goal – at least it was present! God is infinitely better at discipline that any human father could ever be… although, perhaps, some are certainly better than others.


Father in Heaven and True Father of my life, thank You that things are the way they are and I can bank on Your being present in all I say, do, or think. Thank You that You love me so much that You discipline me and cause me to endure it – it does do one thing for sure: it causes me to cry out to You. Forgive me for complaining and praying desperate and selfish prayers. Grow me up into the man You’ve created me to be – Amen!

No comments: