Tuesday, December 23, 2014

To Keep You

12.23.14

John 16.1 “I have said all these things to you to keep you from falling away.” Jesus (ESV)

It is interesting to me how many us lack so much confidence in part, or in all of our lives. I would bet the statistics, if we could measure them, would approach the 100% mark. Now, of course we’d have to factor out small children, the mentally disabled, and the developmentally disabled. (Our first child fell into that last category and I’m not sure he thought about anything or even if he could think at all – but that’s a story for another day and something I’ll have to wait until heaven to find out.)

The mind is a fascinating thing. We cannot quantify it and I would also bet we can’t truly qualify it. We might say someone is bright, or they are dull; but putting a true measurement on the mind seems –to me – impossible. Most of the measuring we do, whether clinically or subjectively, is our best guess.

Jesus knew how much the mind played out in the lives of His men – His twelve closest followers. I think that may be why He said, “I have said all these things to you to keep you from falling away.” What they were faced with mentally, with all they’d been through, was enough for them to lose heart because of enormous doubts. Maybe they’d made the wrong decision to follow this Guy, or maybe the Kingdom of God was just a fairy tale. Why was Jesus telling them what He told them and throwing in just for good measure: “I still have many things to say to you, but you cannot bear them now.”? He knew. He knew they were struggling and couldn’t fully handle what He was saying and what they were facing.

With what are you struggling today? With what are you dealing that you can’t seem to handle? What nagging questions in life are hounding you and don’t seem to have an answer? What is causing you to doubt? Where is it you want to run and hide from what is so mentally overwhelming? Enter Jesus: “I have said all these things to you to keep you from falling away.” Jesus knows. Jesus cares. And Jesus has said what He has said to keep us from falling away as well. The last place Jesus would ever want you or me to be is away.


Father, You know where I struggle and want to lose it. You know how much I lack in confidence and You also know how much I try to depend on myself. Help me Father to hear Jesus words when I am weak and scared and tempted to do something foolish – like walk away from my faith and all I believe. You have said all these things to keep me from falling away and Lord, I need them now. Thank You for Your word! Amen.

No comments: