Tuesday, August 19, 2014

With Ya Big B

08.19.14

Jeremiah 45.5 5 And do you seek great things for yourself? Seek them not, for behold, I am bringing disaster upon all flesh, declares the Lord. But I will give you your life as a prize of war in all places to which you may go.” – God (ESV)

God PM'd Baruch, the son of Neriah. Baruch was Jeremiah’s personal secretary, if you will – his scribe, his chronicler. When Jeremiah spoke, Baruch wrote. Call Baruch an old-fashioned recording device, perhaps. It wasn’t uncommon in those days.

It appears from this tiny narrative tucked away in the rest of Jeremiah’s prophecy that possibly Baruch got nervous from time to time and maybe thought about a career change, or even a different employer; after all, his boss got into hot water with the authorities on a fairly regular basis. Maybe Baruch thought what’s bad for the goose is bad for the gander. Can’t blame the guy when your boss has a knack for causing people to foam and groan just at the sight of him.

So maybe Baruch was a little nervous about things. And one day Jeremiah calls for him, and he shows up with pen, ink, and papyrus and predictably Jeremiah launches unpredictably…about …Baruch. To: Baruch From: God. With love.

God knows, God cares. Just when we think He isn’t aware, He lets us know He’s there.

About ten weeks ago (or so) I was in Church and a lady came up to me and prayed for me. She prayed that God would prepare me for what was coming next and that I’d find His blessing in it. It was a nice prayer and could’ve applied to just about anything – except – I was on my way the following Friday for a job interview and was consumed with thoughts about that. She didn’t know. How could she?

But God knew, and God let me know He knew. And whatever fears and anxieties I had seemed to melt away. God knows and God cares. He cares about what we’re doing and where we’re going. He cares about what we’re thinking and what we’re saying. And like old Baruch, He gently reminds us that He hasn’t forgotten us. That’s our God.

God told Baruch that despite the awesome difficulties he was going to go through the thing he prized most – his life – would be God’s gift to him in the midst of it. Baruch didn’t want to die some awesomely horrible death; and I don’t think he did. I think God gave him a long life of dodging bullets – isn’t that the prize of war – to have your life at the end of it?


Father, You know what I think and say, and where I’m going and what I’m doing; and I think You are pleased, and You are with me in all of it. Jeremiah didn’t call me and tell me to write down a prophecy but a lady in church who doesn’t know me all that well prayed and reassured me that You are aware of all that I’m up to and that is enough for me. Thank You! To me today the prize is not just my life, but Your presence in it – thank You! Amen.

No comments: