Friday, August 15, 2014

Jesus and Jeremiah

08.15.14

Jeremiah 20.7 You deceived me, Lord, and I was deceived; you overpowered me and prevailed. I am ridiculed all day long; everyone mocks me.

Just exactly what was Jeremiah saying? Some are wont to believe that serving God is a bum deal; Jeremiah is one in a long line of those who was obnoxiously persecuted for his association with God and was ultimately killed for it. Where do I sign up?

It seems that suffering is the preferred path by God for His people. It seems the situation in Iraq today against God’s people is only going to get worse before it gets better. St. Paul suffered and died. St. Peter got whacked. St. James, the younger was killed; there’s a pattern here. The pattern isn’t the point however; the point is Jesus, Son of God, suffered for His relationship to God as well. We might be tempted to say, what’s good for the goose is good for the … (well, you get the picture).

The difference between Jesus and Jeremiah isn’t that they suffered, it’s how they suffered and how they responded to suffering. When Jeremiah voiced his complaint to the Almighty, he was speaking to Jesus – the Almighty. And Jesus, just a few centuries later walked the very same path of ridicule, resistance, and rejection that bro Jeremiah did.

Jeremiah’s words in Jeremiah 20 sound like the words of someone who is very agitated. Jesus’ words in John 17 sound just the opposite. Jeremiah complained – and can we blame him? Jesus didn’t – and can we answer why? Jesus followed through and believe it or not Jeremiah did too.

It cost both of them, and innumerable saints down through the ages in the meantime, their lives. But life lost on earth is not life lost in Heaven. Pain and suffering for God is not overlooked in Heaven. And I think God likes it when we complain.

Yesterday, I drove to Boise to take an exam for my new job. I was really nervous despite my best efforts to remain calm, cool, and collected. I prayed out loud most of the way there (about two hours by car). I found myself asking God for success in passing the exam (which He graciously gave me) but I realized at one point I was really praying a shallow and selfish prayer. When I pray for God to give me what I want, that, is pretty shallow and selfish. It’s not about what I want – it’s about what He wants and He wants me.

God wants me to want what He wants. God wants me to quit my complaining and fearing and fretting, and believe He is who He says He is and that His mission on earth is to be the most important thing in my life. Regardless of the pain. Regardless of the obstacles.

Interestingly, Jeremiah in the midst of his complaining began to praise God. I think that was the key. If we want to get our minds off of the selfish and shallow the best way to do that is to praise God and remember all of His deeds and attributes. It worked for Jeremiah who continued to suffer for his faith and it worked for me in the midst of my day yesterday.


Lord, You are good all the time and all the time, You are good! In the midst of suffering You are good and may I and my brothers remember to praise You in the midst! Amen.

No comments: