Monday, August 25, 2014

Love Letter

08.25.14

2 John 5 And now I ask you, dear lady—not as though I were writing you a new commandment, but the one we have had from the beginning—that we love one another. – The Apostle John (ESV)

John got it; he was there the night Jesus said: “A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another: just as I have loved you, you also are to love one another. By this all people will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.” (John 13.34-35) He heard the Lord say those words. He heard Jesus say: “If you love me, you will keep my commandments.” (John 14.15) He heard Jesus say: “This is my commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you.” (John 15.12) He heard Jesus say: “These things I command you, so that you will love one another.” (John 15.17) And John heard Jesus say: “I made known to them your name, and I will continue to make it known, that the love with which you have loved me may be in them, and I in them.” (John 17.26) Yes, John got it.

And he wrote about it, and he wrote to others about it, and he lived it, and he practiced it, and he preached it. Over. And. Over. And. Over. It was his life to love.

Now, this letter to the elect lady was not a romantic thing as some have surmised – it was a result of what John possessed: the love of God within him. He was there when Jesus said the things He said, and those words became the fabric of his soul and the lifeblood in his veins. And he wrote to the churches (the elect ladies) and reminded them, and encouraged them, and urged them to live as he lived – in the love of God, loving others, especially in the church.

Now, John eventually died, but the words of the Lord continue to this day: “…that we love one another.” The lady and all her children eventually died, but the words of the Lord continue to this day. John got it – I think the lady got it, and I think some of her children got it. And we’re to get it.

I’ll switch from them to me – I must get it. It’s not an option for the child of God (yes, believe it or not, I, st. Paul, am a child of God.) God’s love is in me. God’s love is with me. My job is to let it out and slop it all over the people around me – in the church, in the home, and everywhere. I’m going to coffee this morning with a couple friends and it’s to slop over onto them and the employees of the coffee shop.

Not everyone is going to respond but here is one non-negotiable: if I call myself a child of God (because I do and I am) then there better be some proof to the pudding: my love for the people of the church (locally and everywhere) and, believe it or not, their’s for me. It’s what we’re commanded to do – always. Do we get it? Have we let it out? Are there restrictions and conditions? Is it only quid pro quo? The key to the mission of the church is this: By this all people will know that you are My disciples, if you have love for one another.” (Jesus)


Lord, I’d ask for You to fill me with Your love but You’ve already done that. Rather, I simply ask for opportunities this day to let Your love in me out to slop it all over those around me – and especially those who call themselves, children of God. Then the world will know… amen.

No comments: