Monday, August 18, 2014

Committed Obedience

08.18.14

Jeremiah 35.18 18 Then Jeremiah said to the family of the Rekabites, “This is what the Lord Almighty, the God of Israel, says: ‘You have obeyed the command of your forefather Jehonadab and have followed all his instructions and have done everything he ordered.’ (NIV)

In a song called, From a Distance part of the lyrics are:

God is watching us. God is watching us.
God is watching us from a distance.

I thought of that song today as I read Jeremiah’s words to the Rekabites; the sons of Jehonadab. It appears God was aware of the obedience of the Rekabites and he sent Jeremiah to use them as a living example of what committed obedience looked like. The sons of Rekab didn’t drink wine because their father told them not to. They honored their father’s word and stayed away from wine. And God saw and God knew.

Apparently, everyone else knew too; committed obedience is obvious to everyone. It may look religious, or it may not; one thing is for sure – if you try to get someone who is committed to obeying to do something they’re not supposed to do – they won’t. And if there’s a group of them, they seem even more steadfast than if they are on their own. There is something to be said for deep conviction. God sees and God knows.

When God looks into our lives, what does He see – after all, according to the song, God is watching us. I’m not sure I buy the whole from a distance part because that, to me, reveals a misunderstanding of what Jesus said about presence. But God is watching us. And furthermore God is acting within us to help us to see what is important in life: HIM. The test for the Rekabites was their abstinence – what is ours? Does it matter?

The Rekabites were God’s chosen examples to the people in those days of committed obedience – something they had a hard time with. Apparently not many wanted to do what God asked. And whenever and wherever the wine was flowing and there happened to be a Rekabite or two present, there was an obvious commitment on their part to not drink the wine. That was their deal. What is ours?

I suppose that is between us and God. As individuals, God is watching us too – and it ain’t from a distance – it’s up close and personal. God is watching us and God may use us as an example if He needs. Are you up to the challenge? Am I?


Lord, I don’t think the Rekabites were into fanfare about their personal commitment to obey the words of their father. You used them to make a point: IF THEY CAN DO IT FOR AN EARTHLY FATHER. WHY CAN’T YOU DO IT FOR YOUR HEAVENLY ONE!? This made me think about my life and my convictions and what I look like to people because of my association with You. Help me to live what I believe and help me to be an example when needed. Father may committed obedience be one of the family traits in me – Amen.

No comments: