Tuesday, June 10, 2014

She

06.10.14

Song of Songs 1.2-4 2 Let him kiss me with the kisses of his mouth— for your love is more delightful than wine. 3 Pleasing is the fragrance of your perfumes; your name is like perfume poured out. No wonder the young women love you! 4 Take me away with you—let us hurry! Let the king bring me into his chambers.

I’ve yet to see it, but I want to, the movie, you know: She. It intrigues me – at least what little of the story I’ve heard and with what little of the trailers I’ve seen. Intriguingly bizarre. The marriage of technology and emotion that is. The tragic confounding of man with machine.

In Solomon’s Song, there is peppered within it pericopes of She, He and Friends. That’s what you’d expect in romance and marriage and in life. You’d expect lovers and the friends of the lovers. You’d expect various levels of ‘in the know’ and circles of varying proximity to and from the lovers. But as a man, I am interested in, and attracted to She.

I married my She going on 36 years ago. When I found her, She was what I wanted. In the Proverbs, Agur son of Jakeh, is credited with: an inspired utterance. In it he said there were four things that that amazed and confounded him – one of which was: “…the way of a man with a young woman.” Go figure. Men are just that way around women. But they are way weird around the one by whom they are smitten. I think God knew exactly what He was doing.

What’s refreshing and counfounding to me is when a She likes a He. Love is one thing, romance another, but like is like acceptance and that is what matters to this Me. I am not always at my best; some days are certainly better than others, but when a She likes a He, then He’s more confident, assured, and well, better.

Now, scholar that I am not, I can’t put my finger on Song of Song’s theologically except that one of the major themes of the New Testament is the Marriage of the Bride (the Church) to the Christ. Talk about a She and a He! And the Marriage is consummated with Trust; the Bride awaits her Groom trusting that all her blots and blemishes will be overlooked and she will be to Him: radiant. And the Groom is like a man with a maiden: smitten. It’s kinda hard to see Jesus as smitten – but He is. He likes She. And She includes you and me.

We, in the Church of God, are the She. At times we are the friends– as in every good marriage there ought to be a high level of friendship – of God, but more than that we are the She of God, His Bride, radiant and pure; cleansed by His blood and His word. I could go on and on with metaphors but here it is: He likes She, and the She is comprised of the global We – those who are faithfully smitten by He.

Maybe it’s this: it’s been a while since I felt smitten and perhaps today would be a good time to renew some present and future vows by acknowledging just how much He loves She, and She includes me…fallen and fractured as I am, but hailed by Him as His own.

I Love You Lord
And I lift my voice
To worship You (o my soul, rejoice)
Take joy my King
In what You hear
May it be a sweet, sweet sound

In Your ear. Amen

No comments: