Tuesday, June 3, 2014

It Hasn’t Changed a Bit

06.03.14

Romans 15.16 ...to be a minister of Christ Jesus to the Gentiles. He gave me the priestly duty of proclaiming the gospel of God, so that the Gentiles might become an offering acceptable to God, sanctified by the Holy Spirit.

It hasn’t changed a bit since Paul wrote these words to people he’d never seen and had never seen him. Paul knew people in Rome but had never been there yet; his arrival would be sometime in the future.

Paul knew what he was about, as the Lord Jesus knew what He was about. It wasn’t a guessing game; it wasn’t hand-wringing or the agony of: O God! I’m so confused! I don’t know what to do! No, Paul knew God had given him the priestly duty of proclaiming the gospel of God so that the Gentiles might become an offering acceptable to God, set apart by the Holy Spirit. It hasn’t changed a bit. That very work continues to this day. (Or at least the need for that work continues to this day.)

I remember sitting in church one Sunday evening as a youth listening to a man from a foreign country (somewhere in Africa or Asia, he wasn’t white) tell us in the audience that someday his people and others from around the world would come to America and do missions work. I thought: Yeah, right! When pigs fly! The skies are littered with airborne swine these days. I heard something on the radio just the other day about missionaries coming to America to proclaim the Gospel of God to people who’ve never heard it…and we are littered with churches across our land.

I don’t know what I’d say to a foreign missionary if I bumped into one on the street: Oh yeah, we got her done; we don’t really need your help! But thanks! I think I’d run in embarrassment and shame because much of what passes for Christianity in the West these days; which is an odd mixture of self-help, pop psychology, and utter and shameless self-promotion.

I’m leaving for Kenya in 17 days. I’ve never been on a foreign missions trip and have never been to a third-world country. (They just might get pissed at me for calling them: third-world. The arrogance of the west…sigh.) But in Kenya, I hope to find myself (I know, self-help, pop psychology, and shameless self-promotion) and find God. I know He’s there, and I know He wants me to go there. So, I’m going. But I’m going to learn, to help, and to encourage believers there that if they ever want to come to America and share their story, I’d welcome them.

Whatever happens, it is imperative to me, whether at home or abroad, that proclaiming the gospel of God is to be a top priority to me and the Christians here in our corner of the world. Our land needs it and so does the world. And resistance to the Gospel is fear dressed up in anger and persecution and men doing what they know how to do best when confronted with truth: kill the messengers. Paul did make it, eventually, to Rome…as a prisoner in chains for the gospel. It hasn’t changed a bit God still looks for those who will proclaim His gospel so the Gentiles might become an offering acceptable to Him, sanctified by His Holy Spirit.

Lord God, use me! Amen.

No comments: