Monday, June 16, 2014

Ninety-Nine Cent Karma

06.16.14

Colossians 2.6-7 6 So then, just as you received Christ Jesus as Lord, continue to live your lives in him, 7 rooted and built up in him, strengthened in the faith as you were taught, and overflowing with thankfulness.

It appears the Church in the first century was as plagued with conflicting philosophies and the usual mis, and dis-information as we are today. Here on the planet, nothing really ever changes except the times and the players. And man, as usual, has always been pretty darn good at coming up with enslaving and useless systems in the name of religion. Sigh. We just don’t learn.

A signal sentence in Colossians 2 seems to cut through the crap (of the then times) of all of man, and his incessant insistence of how we’re all supposed to live: BY THE RULES!!! And here is what Paul said: So then, just as you received Christ (not on your own) as Lord, continue to live your lives (not on your own) in Him. And here’s how (not on your own): rooted and built up in Him; strengthened in the faith as you were taught; and overflowing with thankfulness.

We cannot live on our own. We cannot live as an island and combat all the crapola that comes at us because, frankly, some of it seems to really make sense and sound pretty darn good.

Two nights ago I’m working at my (former) cashier’s job at the local supermarket and I’m ringing up groceries and chatting with a customer. It’s funny, I can’t walk and chew gum at the same time, but I can be chatty and charming whilst helping a customer. Well, in the midst of my charming chattiness, I forget to ring up a ninety-nine cent loaf of bread, and as girls (who are pretty darn sharp I’ve found) are wont to do, she tells me I’ve forgotten to charge her for the bread. I ring up the bread I’ve forgotten and she says: I just don’t want to get ninety-nine cent karma. And I say to myself: Oh, here’s another one that believes in the superstitious power of what goes around, comes around.  

Does that really work!? Seems many think it does. Competing philosophy?

I can live my life according to the folksy wisdom that surrounds me. I can live my life according to Ninety-Nine Cent karma. Or I can live my life just as I received Christ, no on my own, but in Him rooted and grounded and thankful and all that. Ninety-Nine Cent Karma sounds reasonable but even so, who’s behind it? What’s behind it? And what’s wrong with just being honest and forthright without fear of some karma-n, cosmic retribution: Oops! Ya done done it now, and now ya gots ta pay…sorry suckah!

I am to live my life, not as the world turns, but as I received Jesus Christ as my own: not on my own. And I am to pay attention to Him as I live my life, not in my strength, not in my wisdom, not on my own, but as He has called me to live: rooted and built up in Him, strengthened in the faith as you were taught, and overflowing with thankfulness.


Lord Jesus, in the midst of the endless and conflicting philosophies of the day, help me to live in You; not fearing karma, but simply living honestly, humbly and holy. Thank You I am in You and not just flopping around in the breeze somewhere else. Amen.

No comments: