Monday, June 2, 2014

Jigginess

06.02.14

Romans 14.19-21 19 Let us therefore make every effort to do what leads to peace and to mutual edification. 20 Do not destroy the work of God for the sake of food. All food is clean, but it is wrong for a person to eat anything that causes someone else to stumble. 21 It is better not to eat meat or drink wine or to do anything else that will cause your brother or sister to fall. NIV

Who’d a–thunkit that meat was once a source of contention between folk? I sure know drink is. I know that ever since Jesus turned water into wine the Church in America has been trying to change it back. It is just the way things are that someone will get their nose bent out of shape over food and drink. Just place bacon in front of a Muslim and watch what happens.

It sounds awfully petty. It sounds entirely human – whatever we can make an issue out of we will – and we do. But the word of God is pretty clear at this point: “…it is wrong for a person to eat anything that causes someone else to stumble. It is better no to eat meat or drink wine or to do anything else that will cause your brother or sister to fall.” Hmmm. So I guess I’ll just find those who do what I want to do and hang out with them. Now it’s starting to sound really petty.

I’m pretty sure that those in the Church who drink wine or beer wish those who didn’t would just man-up and join the party. I’m pretty sure that those who don’t wish those who did would man-up and be leaders and set the example and do what Jesus did (Who as a member of His culture did what everyone else did: He drank wine. And don’t give me that lame excuse that Jesus drank Welch’s – He didn’t. He drank the real stuff.)

Most all of us know a drunk, or know someone who knows a drunk. There isn’t a place in leadership of the Church for a drunkard; nor is there an effective witness in the life of a drunkard. But let me share this story:

Last week I go to get my hair cut at a new Barber shop – not only new to me but new to our little berg. So, I’m in the chair and the barber is cutting my hair, and we’re talking music and he asks me what I “into”. Well, I’m into mountain bike riding. And pretty passionate about it. But I tell him I’m not currently riding because I sold my bike to go on a Mission’s trip. He spins the chair around and he says, “You’re a Christian and you listen to this kind of music!?” I say, “Sure!” And he says, “My, how times have changed.” (I didn’t have the heart to tell him I was also into craft beers and red wine… I might’ve had to call 911.)

But the point here is not pettiness, but strength, love, and courage. It takes strength – the Jesus kind – to put up with those who make issues out of food and drink and rock music and what the worship band plays on Sunday (there is my weakness and a source of issues for me).  It takes love to accept one who gets all jiggy over things and can’t/won’t come to understand. And it takes courage to let Jesus be Jesus in my life, my choices, and to rule over what I’m into. God doesn’t take anything from us. He will however, accept everything we’ll give Him. That’s what relationship is all about.

Jesus here is what I want from You today: Your strength, Your love, and courage. I need these things to deal with the thorny issues in life. But I also ask for wisdom in order to represent You well and to carefully guard and guide what I’m into lest it become hurtful to others and I wreck the whole thing. Don’t let me do that. Amen.

No comments: