Sunday, April 6, 2014

What I Will

04.06.14

2 Corinthians 6.1-2 1 As God’s co-workers we urge you not to receive God’s grace in vain. 2 For he says, “In the time of my favor I heard you, and in the day of salvation I helped you.” I tell you, now is the time of God’s favor, now is the day of salvation. (NIV)

Yesterday, my daughter and I had a conversation about grace. We first talked about our lives as believers, and how we both struggled with the churchy-ness of church life. We talked about rules and other’s expectations. We talked about trying to impress others and getting God to love us more if we did what was expected within the community of faith. And then we talked about grace.

Grace is a marvelous thing. It is a marvelous truth. It is something we talk about but have such a difficult time truly embracing because both man and the devil don’t want us to believe in the unconditional love of God. Man wants to earn his way into heaven. Satan tells him he can. But God says it’s not about earning one’s way but about love. And love is built upon the foundation of limitless, un-earned favor. God loves us because He does, not because we act in a certain manner.

Love is a marvelous thing. It, too, is a marvelous truth. It is something we talk about but have such a difficult time truly embracing because both man and the devil don’t want us to believe in the true love of God; the forces of unbelief would rather us buy into sex and selfishness and immorality and call that love.

St. Augustine once said, “Love God, and do what you will!”* Man and religion think that is simply too dangerous a concept. Man and religion claim men are too fickle, faulty, and faithless to live like that. How can we trust sinful, stupid men not to abuse that!? But it’s true – to truly love God from the midst of His endless ocean of grace, is to do good, unimaginably, immeasurably beyond what man and religion (and the devil) can ever concoct.

Grace in vain is saying it works for some but not for me. Grace in vain means I cannot be trusted to love God and do whatever I choose. Grace in vain is proclaiming the goodness and mercy of God while bound in the rules and regulations of men and religion. Grace in vain is attempting to earn my way into heaven – making God love and accept me because of what I do. Doing the right things. Saying the right things. Associating with the right people.

My daughter and I talked about grace and how wonderful and marvelous it truly is. And we talked about how astoundingly freeing it is when we accept in from the heart of God by His unconditional love for each of us. Have I lived a sinless, perfect life? No! Do I fail all the time? Yes! Will I ever make it on my own? No! But I know Someone who is perfect and flawless and loves me will all of His heart despite all that I do. I want to love Him and do what I will.

Lord Jesus, today is another day of Your infinite marvelous grace. Today is another day of Your unconditional love. It isn’t just for the sinner; it’s also for the child and You have called me Yours and You have given me these things not to be accepted in vain but to grow by forever – thank You! Amen.

*Thank you, Jim Stephens, for turning me onto that quote!

No comments: