Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Afraid of God

04.30.14

2 Samuel 6.9 9 David was afraid of the Lord that day and said, “How can the ark of the Lord ever come to me?” (NIV)

As emergent as I wannabe these days, I know my more emergent friends may squirm a bit at what I have to say (blog). David was afraid and had every reason to be – HE SCREWED UP!!! You don’t put the Ark of the Covenant on a new cart – I don’t care how good a deal you got on the lumber at Home Depot. You don’t pull the cart with oxen. And you don’t allow your buddies to be bodyguards of the Ark – that’s the Priest’s job. And David was afraid.

There have been times in my life where I have been called into question for my actions and had that devastating pang of fear in my gut over the mistake I’ve made and what the consequences of those actions were going to bring. It is almost a knee-knocking-diarrhea-causing pang. I screwed up and I was going to get it (or so I thought). I think that might describe David’s fear of the Lord that day. It was terror.

We are to fear the Lord – and that fear is all about respect. God is not mean, nor is He into using clubs or weaponry against His kids; but we must never use the kid-card to excuse disrespect and irreverence (see 2 Samuel 6.7). Uzzah done did a bad thing, and David allowed it to happen. The Law was very specific about how the Ark was to be transported and who was to transport it – the king isn’t mentioned in the Law regarding portage of the Ark (See: Exodus 25.14; Deuteronomy 10:8; 31.25)

And when others suffer because of our own stupidity, disrespect, and irreverence, we, like David, need to take that very seriously. We just might need to be afraid too...

A time or two I’ve been afraid of God – sheer terror of His awesome majesty and power. I have realized the like the spider in Edward’s sermon, I’m hanging by a thread over the flames of His wrath, that I have nothing but grace to protect me and save me because I sure don’t deserve it, and, after all the effort and energy I’ve put into this faith thing, it may be for naught – that I’ve somehow missed it. I don’t feel good in those moments. I feel very afraid.

God is not a fear-broker but there are those moments in life when I think we need to look down the barrels of faith and ask ourselves why that Ark is so far away and if it’ll never come any closer. David was for the most part comfortable and confident in his faith, but I can think of at least three times when he was downright terrified, and this event was one of them.

My faith in God is never to be taken for granted nor taken advantage of; David learned that firsthand. Fear, sheer terror of God, is part of the package and probably deserves some attention in our lives – I sure know it exists in mine from time to time.


Father, I am so weak and so small and yet, at the same time, so profoundly wicked and arrogant. I have made some terrible mistakes that have caused me more than discomfort – they have caused me seismic terror that I am irreparably irreparable. I am grateful for grace and scared crapless that I might drive the bus of my faith off the cliff. Save me. Forgive me. And help me to walk as I ought: acting justly, loving mercy and humbly with You – Amen.

No comments: