Thursday, April 24, 2014

The Presence of the Lord

04.24.14

Psalm 109.31 31 For he stands at the right hand of the needy, to save their lives from those who would condemn them.

Matthew 11.28-30 28 “Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. 29 Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. 30 For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.” (NIV)

The truth is where we have trouble, pain, sorrow, and affliction – right there is where we’ll find the Lord: For He stands at the right hand of the needy, to save their lives from those who would condemn them. In the midst of life’s myriad difficulties is where we find our Lord.

My perspective is that most look for the Lord somewhere else – they look for Him in places far, far away. Those people think Heaven is out there somewhere; the truth is heaven is right next door, and the King of Heaven likes to hang out in the slums: that place we call our heart. Psalm 109 reminds us of His presence when we admit how needy we really are. He stands right at our right hand.

Psalm 109 is echoed in Matthew 11. Jesus said to the sorrowful, the confused, the hurting, the afflicted, the distraught: Come to Me all you who are sick and tired of being sick and tired, and I will give you what you need: relief from trying to be the god of your own life; the master of your own destiny. Put My lifestyle upon yourselves and let Me show you how it is done: God’s way, not my own. My lifestyle is gentleness and humility and you’ll be surprised when you accept these things how wonderfully performance-less  life becomes. For My lifestyle is easier than yours, and the bags I carry have handles and shoulder straps.

Life is full of stuff that comes at us without our permission or consultation. That’s life. Who ever asked for cancer? Who ever asked for death? Who ever asked for trouble – willingly, purposefully, eagerly? No one. Stuff happens, and Jesus knows that. It did to Him, and He dealt with it in the way we should learn to: gently and humbly trusting and resting in the presence of God in the midst of all that can and will go wrong.

And to the ones who learn this, He is right there coaching, cheering, encouraging at their right hand.

Where I fall down so often is ignoring the imploring of Jesus to simply come to Him, take up His lifestyle and walk the way He does: gently, humbly, trusting God and gratefully accepting His presence in the midst of whatever life throws at me. God never promises me no troubles. He does promise me to be with me in the midst of them. And yes, He routinely throws things at me that are way beyond my ability to bear – that is when and where He does His finest work.


Father in Heaven, as Jesus did, may I walk this day with His yoke, may I live this day as He did, gently and humbly trusting You with all that is swirling around me. I trust You God. I accept Your presence even when my senses scream RUN!!. I submit myself to You this day, You’re the only place I’ll find rest and today is the only day I have – Amen.

No comments: