Friday, February 21, 2014

Up Close and Personal



02.21.14

Numbers 9.8 8 Moses said to them, “Wait, and I will find out what the Lord says about you.” (NCV)

In the days of the Exodus, God dealt with the Israelites through His servant Moses. The Scripture tells us that God spoke to Moses face to face like a man speaks to his friend. It was a one-time deal. That isn’t to say that other saints like David, Samuel, Elijah, and others didn’t hear from God directly, but it is to say there once was a time when God spoke directly (and I assume audibly) to one person – and that person was Moses.

I know Moses heard God’s voice because the Bible tells me he did. I’m not sure how the rest of God’s subsequent leaders heard the word of the Lord, but I do know this: the God who created all of Heaven, the heavens, and earth has no problem communicating with those who will listen and obey; it’s that simple.
 
Back then (in the early, early days) God chose to deal with His people through intermediaries: priests, prophets, and kings. That lasted up until the Day of Pentecost after Jesus was crucified and resurrected (see Acts 2). When that day came, the middle-man left and the Holy Spirit became the Divine Resource and Presence for every believer. No longer did someone have to inquire of the priest for a directive from God – he had full access to God’s throne, and full permission through grace, to ask God for whatever he needed.

God spoke of that Day and said, "They shall be My people, and I will be their God; and I will give them one heart and one way, that they may fear Me always, for their own good and for the good of their children after them..." (Jeremiah 32.38-39)

And today is that Day. In Jeremiah, the context was the children of Israel; today it is the believer.

Full access – what a privilege, what a responsibility! Religion seeks intermediaries; relationship/friendship seeks a face to face encounter with the Living God and directives straight from Him. No more does the believer have to come to the priest and hear, “Wait, and I will find out what the Lord says about you.”  Today, the believer has full access to God up close and personal: “Lord, tell me, what shall I do?”

I need God’s help in my life. I don’t want to use God just to help me get out of tough spots and then go along my merry way; no, I want to walk with Him and talk with Him as is my privilege as His child. Yes, I need the guidance and counsel of wise Christian believers, but I need to mature to that place in life where I simply talk to God face-to-face: I ask, He responds, I obey; for my own good and the good of my children and grandchildren.
Father, You know my needs before I even speak them. But I need to know my needs and to deal with them according to Your wise and eternal counsel. Help me to attune my ear to Your voice and then eagerly obey whatever You say. I need You – up close and personal – Amen.

No comments: