Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Special Handkerchiefs and Used Clothing

02.12.14

 Acts 19.11-12 11 God used Paul to do some very special miracles. 12 Some people took handkerchiefs and clothes that Paul had used and put them on the sick. When they did this, the sick were healed and evil spirits left them. (NCV)

I’m a Pentecostal. My first excursion into Pentecostalism was in Boise, around 1984 or so. Admittedly, I’ve been up and down with Pentecostal Theology over the years – even to the point of thinking it was hogwash XLT. (Sigh) I’m still a Pentecostal. Now, I’ll admit (also) we have issues in the Pentecostal Church but we also have some non-issues as well. Probably one of my biggest issues with Pentecostalism is the whole business of infatuation with miracles.

If we were to have something happen today like what happened to Paul in Ephesus then, we’d probably have a run on handkerchiefs – in Eastern Oregon it’d be bandanas (red ones please). The issue I have with Pentecostalism is the amount of attention we pay to miracles and how much we seem to insist that miracles are some sort of validation of our beliefs. It is true that God is the God of miracles but God doesn’t use miracles to validate my faith – I’m to believe in Him regardless of whether there are miracles or not; God doesn’t need to prove Himself.

Now, back to handkerchiefs… I realize people were maybe desperate back then for some sign that God was different than all the other gods out there – Grecian, Roman; who knows what else. So I think, okay then, whatever worked, worked. But miracles didn’t always bring about people growing closer to God. Usually miracles drove folks farther from God because hearts that aren’t right with God might be impressed with a miracle, but not necessarily impressed as to give God the credit and to draw close to Him. Miracles are a mystery and most people just can’t handle mystery.

The problem with handkerchiefs and used clothing is what we make of them. In reality, they have nothing to do with miracles. God does the miracles and however He chooses to dooses is up to Him. Whatever the means, the biggest miracle is still: a sinner, dead in his trespasses and sins, turning to Christ and finding life.

I won’t deny miracles; I’ve seen plenty – really. But the miracles I’ve experienced were more for the building up of my faith, than for impressing those who want God to whip something up for them to believe… Jesus said they wouldn't believe if God sent someone back from the dead to tell them – it ain’t miracles, it’s faith – and without faith, it is impossible to please God let alone find Him.

Father, You have, for whatever reason, drawn me into the Pentecostal realm and it seems like it’s there I fit. May we, as believing servants be faithful to believe in the right things, at the right time, and for the right reasons. I really don’t want miracles to validate who I am but to remind us that nothing is impossible for You.  May Your works always find a home in believing hearts. Thank You for who You are and what You do – Amen.

No comments: