Tuesday, February 4, 2014

I Hope

02.04.14

Psalm 19.14 14 I hope my words and thoughts please you. Lord, you are my Rock, the one who saves me. (NCV)

Psalm 19 is truly one of my favorite Psalms. It calls me to a higher place. King David sang a good one when he sang this one. This year, I’m attempting to read a different Bible translation every month; and this month, it just happens to be the New Century Version. I chuckle at the names of these Bible translations; I wonder which century they had in mind when they wrote this one. J It was first published in 1987.

One of the things that makes Bible reading easier for some is finding a translation that is easier to read. One of my favorites is the New Living Translation. Another is The Message, by Eugene Peterson. I stumbled across the New Century Version about 13 years ago and fell in love with it. It is not my preferred translation but it is definitely a well presented version and very easy to read. Here is a brief word on the history of the NCV:

The New Century Version of the Bible is a revision of the International Children's Bible. The ICB was aimed at young readers and those with low reading skills/limited vocabulary in English. It is written at a 3rd grade level (from the introduction) and is both conservative and evangelical in tone. The New Testament was first published in 1978 and the Old Testament followed in 1986. The ICB was revised somewhat to be a bit more sophisticated (reading level grade 5) and was dubbed the New Century Version, released in 1987. A gender-neutral edition was first published in 1991, supplanting the original.*  *(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Century_Version)

It appeals to me; it’s written at a 5th grade level of comprehension – perfect! J

Today, it said (as I read), “I hope my words and thoughts please you.” In America today the word hope is abysmally misused. For the most part, it is construed to mean wishful thinking. When we say, “I hope…” we usually mean, maybe yes, maybe no. But the biblical meaning of hope is: Yes, Yes, a thousand times Yes! Hope is an emphatic in the Bible, not wishful thinking.

To say, I hope my words and thoughts please You means: I’m living my life in full view of You, and all that I say and all that I think are open for You to see. And so may they be pleasing to You! If not, correct me so they will be so. Not: I’m going to put some energy into life and I want my words and thoughts to please You but I can’t guarantee that it’ll happen. Big difference in meaning. I hope means: it is; it will; You are God and You love everything about me: the good, the bad, and the ugly.


Father, because of You I live. In You I live and move and have my being. Apart from You it is only wishful thinking. In You it is a fixed hope in the reality of You and the result of giving my life to You only. I hope in You, and I hope the words I say, and the thoughts I think, please You. Your promise is, they do always. Like a mother loves her infant child, so do You love Your children – our hope is in You! Amen.

No comments: