Sunday, February 2, 2014

Suffering for the Name

02.02.14

Acts 9.15-16 15 But the Lord said to Ananias, “Go! I have chosen Saul for an important work. He must tell about me to those who are not Jews, to kings, and to the people of Israel. 16 I will show him how much he must suffer for my name.” (NCV)

Saul’s (Paul) ‘conversion’ was both celebrated and suspected; some were blown away that he was really a believer; others thought he was just trying to infiltrate so he could cause more trouble for the Church. Finally, it took Barnabas, who believed in Saul, to take him in, find out his story, and present him to the Church in Jerusalem to convince them that Saul (Paul) was truly willing to suffer for the Name of Christ. Not so remarkably Saul met with fierce opposition to the truth and those who heard him wanted to kill him for his faith.

What does it mean to suffer for His Name? I suppose the gamut of suffering isn’t truly known for mankind is clever and hasn’t exhausted the possibilities of what should happen to those who don’t accept the accepted religious party line. One thing is for sure, buck the system and the system will buck back; either stand in the system’s line obediently, or the system will find a way to make you stand where it thinks you should.

I used to think that God’s comments to Ananias were somehow used to convince Ananias that God was going to give Saul some of his own back to him. How stupid – that paints God in a pathetically petty light. God wasn’t paying Saul back: God was using Saul to further the Good News; the result would be for Saul (just as it is for everyone else who follows God in this world) to suffer for the Name. (In a small way it was proof of where Saul’s heart really was…)

Suffering for Christ is present with the disciple of Christ because the world fears Jesus (in a pathetically petty way) and hates the light of truth, and will fight against that light. Additionally, the disciple may face push-back even from those who believe but choose to be quiet about it: Shhh! You’re making waves! But we are called to confront, and we are called to make waves; and even when we’re not doing anything, we are suspected of doing everything because of our persistence of standing with the Lord.

That’s how dimly the world views disciples of Jesus Christ. So I will suffer – whether I like it or not. I am in a war – whether I like it or not. And God will show me how much I’ll have to suffer for His Name. It’s not about selfish masochism, it’s about relationship; Saul was viewed with suspicion and contempt because he turned his back on their religion. The same will happen to me. When I suffer I can take it as an indicator I’m on the right track. Above and beyond it all I’m to view suffering for what it is and keep my eyes riveted on the Lord because viewing Him causes my concerns about suffering to evaporate like the fog under the heat of the sun.

Father, like You did for Saul, strengthen me to bear up for the truth diligently despite suffering. It isn’t Your reward – it’s just what naturally happens to those who believe in You in the face of a world that is dead set against You. Help me to ignore suffering and not get fooled by it, but to stay focused on Your beautiful face where suffering diminishes in the light of who You are and what You are about. Amen.

No comments: