Monday, July 23, 2012

He’d do That



07.23.12

1 Peter 2.21 21 For you have been called for this purpose, since Christ also suffered for you, leaving you an example for you to follow in His steps, NASB

One of the more important things for me in life is to know what to do. I seem to be weird that way. I want to know what is right, what is important, and what I am to do to make life meaningful and rewarding. My problem is often there are so dang many trees that I miss the forest that contains them. I think the Lord sighs and smiles and says something like: hang in there son, I’m working on you.

Peter said we were called to this purpose. Of all the purposes in the world to be called to this is it. It isn’t rocket science. It isn’t brain surgery. It’s following in the footsteps of Jesus Christ and living life accordingly. Jesus left us an example of utter devotion and dependency upon God and we’re to follow in His footsteps. What would Jesus do? He’d submit to God in every way, every day – nothing more, nothing less. Peter went on to say that Jesus kept entrusting Himself to Him who judges (or weighs out) all things righteously. With Jesus there was no fear of circumstances – only a continual trust in God.

Can we do that? Can we walk out the circumstances of our lives with such confidence that we ignore the waves of fear and anxiety that pound in upon us? Can we trust God in the swirling winds of the worst? Can we keep hold of our faith when the foundations are being fractured by doubt and worry? What would Jesus do? That. He’d do that.

And Peter said that is our purpose for living and our purpose in life. If I want to know what to do, it’s trust God no matter. If I want to know the details and I don’t get any – it’s trust God anyway. If I don’t know what to do, it’s trust God because He does and He’ll get me to where He needs me to be.

Purpose reminds us of what is important and that what we’re doing, or involved in, is pleasing to God. Purpose is the reason we get out of bed in the morning. And when we get up we’re to follow the example of Christ Who unswervingly followed the leading of God.

This may be an odd way to finish what I’m saying but here goes:

Jesus followed the will and leading of God but He didn’t leave a pile of dead bodies in His wake. Does that make sense to you? Jesus didn’t follow God’s will at the expense of other’s lives. He only followed God at the expense of His own life. And because He gave His life to serve God and die on the cross, we can give our lives to carrying our cross and doing what the Father calls us to do: follow in the footsteps and example of Jesus. If we want a formula for successful living, that is it.

It’s up to us today to live with on purpose with purpose: following Jesus every step of the way.

No comments: