Monday, July 2, 2012

Contending



7.2.2012

Jude 3 Dear friends, although I was very eager to write to you about the salvation we share, I felt compelled to write and urge you to contend for the faith that was once for all entrusted to God’s holy people. NASB

There is nothing more important in our lives than to contend for the faith that was once for all entrusted to God’s holy people; it is the mission of who we are and why we exist on this earth.

Jude said he wanted to write to them about the salvation we [they] share. I went to a community church service yesterday here in our little town, and the speaker – a local pastor – spoke about the salvation we all share. But he also urged us to contend for the faith by endeavoring in the Spirit to walk in unity by living fearlessly, not grumbling and complaining, and avoiding pride. We must, as children of the living God, adorn the doctrine of God our Savior in every respect (Titus 2.10 NASB) – that’s our job, our lifestyle, our ministry; our purpose.

So contending for the faith that was once for all entrusted to God’s holy people means I live each day in a manner that won’t give any ground to anything that attempts to erode the truth away from me: I now have a responsibility. And that is what has been entrusted to me: responsibility. I don’t live willy-nilly in this world of information overload. I use my earthly citizenship wisely but never overlook my heavenly citizenship.

Enter into everyday conversation with most folks and listen to the topics that come up: the weather, relationships, the job, or… for the child of God we are to look for ways to weave God into the conversation – that’s part of contending for the faith. We must be accountable to invite those around us into the deeper end of life: how’s the job search going? Can I pray for you? I will pray for you. (I care about you).

Jude realized that although going through Belief 101 is beneficial for everyone all the time – so is Contending 201. We are made to contend and stand firm in what is given us in Christ. And contending for the faith strengthens the faith we have. We have to know why and what we believe. Contending strengthens my resolve to live as I do and believe what I do.

My life can stand some contenting. That means I walk in purity and keep an eye on my self lest it contend for its own wants and desires. It also means I quit looking for the creature comforts I perceive as my rights and remain focused on the pleasures of God that He derives from His kids doing what is right and good in a world that is so full of wrong and bad. Contending isn’t pretending; it’s persevering in what is never ending, and the only thing that fills that description is my life in Christ and the faith that goes with it…

No comments: