Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Got To Lose



7.18.2012

James 2.5 5 Listen, my beloved brethren: did not God choose the poor of this world to be rich in faith and heirs of the kingdom which He promised to those who love Him? NASB

To those who have nothing, something sounds good; something is better than nothing – however, limits and restrictions may apply: to have no troubles and yet be offered trouble…well, maybe that’s not such a good thing. One thing the poor have is lack; an emptiness, a longing, a desire. An empty stomach cries out: feed me! An empty soul cries out: love me. An empty life cries out: give me purpose!

Poverty can manifest itself in myriad ways; Jesus said, “Blessed are the poor in spirit for they shall be filled.” (Matthew 5) Filled with what, Lord? Filled with the Spirit, that’s what. Poverty isn’t just a lack of money it’s a lack of a whole lot more.

James was telling his readers (and us) that the poverty stricken are those whom God has chosen to be rich in faith. And what is faith? Faith is, in once sense, utter dependence. The rich aren’t dependent because they have what it takes in this world to get by: money. Now, granted, their money won’t buy everything, but it sure will buy a lot; and most folks never seem to have enough money for all the things they want.

The rich seem to be perceived by the have-nots as those with power and means to beat the game of life. Even the Psalmist Asaph (whose words, perspective, and insight I deeply admire) said in Psalm 73.2-3: But as for me, my feet had almost slipped; I had nearly lost my foothold. For I envied the arrogant when I saw the prosperity of the wicked. Such is the heart-warping power of affluence over people.

James said the destitute are needy (and seem to be those who just can’t get their financial act together), but again, their poverty comes in many different colors and flavors, and shouldn’t be ignored in favor of those who are more well-to-do.

The problem is our system, or better, our perception of value and valuation. A wise and cynical king once said: A feast is made for laughter, wine makes life merry, and money is the answer for everything. (Proverbs 10.19 NIV) Just because someone has money shouldn’t give them an advantage in the church and not everyone who is poor is a Biblical Scholar. But in the church we’ll do well to treat everyone on the same plane in the same playing field – any other view or behavior is way wrong, hurtful, and misperceived.

I must guard my thoughts about money and those who have it, and those who don’t. I must remember poverty in all its forms and seek to help the poverty-stricken wherever, whenever, and however I can. That is my calling in Christ, and saves me a lot of embarrassment in the long run… What have I got to lose?

No comments: