Sunday, August 14, 2011

A Two-Way Street


8.14.2011

John 16:1 “All this I have told you so that you will not go astray. NIV

The story goes that an elderly couple were sitting on their front porch one summer evening and she said to him, “Harold, you never tell me you love me.” Harold, always the stoic, replied, “Martha, when we got married sixty-five years ago, I said I loved you. If that ever changes, you’ll be the first to know!”

Thanks a lot Harold… Jesus told His disciples, “All this I have told you so that you will not go astray.” Their world was rocked and their faith on the ropes. Jesus was crashing their preconceived notions and crushing their hopes. Untested faith produces little fruit. Misplaced hope is dangerous. Jesus went on to explain just how their faith and hope would be tested (Vv. 2-4).

What is it that causes the heart to go astray? Sometimes it’s losing hope and lacking faith. Sometimes, it’s tiring out. Sometimes, it’s because there is lack of communication. Jesus was careful to explain to the disciples that though He was leaving, the Holy Spirit would be present and would communicate the Father’s heart clearly. Jesus was limited in His earthly ministry because of time and space – He couldn’t tell them all they needed to know – there just wasn’t enough time. But the Holy Spirit would take what is Christ’s and make it known to the followers of Christ; He would guide them into all truth. I think the disciples were a bit perplexed by all this. I think the question, “HOW!?” was in their minds.

Two thousand years ago Jesus said these things and He has said them ever since to the ones who believe. The ministry of the Holy Spirit to the followers of Christ has never ceased: “I have much more to say to you, more than you can now bear. But when he, the Spirit of truth, comes, he will guide you into all truth. He will not speak on his own; he will speak only what he hears, and he will tell you what is yet to come. He will bring glory to me by taking from what is mine and making it known to you. All that belongs to the Father is mine. That is why I said the Spirit will take from what is mine and make it known to you.” (John 16:12-15 NIV)

Today, I can rest in the strength of Christ and the presence of the Holy Spirit and not worry about going astray. The only condition is that I must come back to the Lord often and tell Him how much I love Him, and go and live my life living up to my words by obeying Him. It is a two-way street. Going astray comes when communication breaks down and God never breaks down; I, however, can.

But my hope is in the truth of these words and my faith is built on nothing less than Jesus blood and righteousness…

No comments: