Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Joyfully Willingly


8.17.2011

John 19:30 30 When he had received the drink, Jesus said, “It is finished.” With that, he bowed his head and gave up his spirit. NIV

Today, I might be guilty of a little proof-texting – you know, when someone attempts to prove a theological standpoint by leaning solely on one verse of Scripture. Jesus went to the cross willingly. When He bowed His head and said, “It is finished.” He was telling us that what He had willingly come to do was done. Jesus did what He did in the spirit of, “if my God is for me, tell me who can be against me!

I’ll tell you who can be against me: me! The older I get the more I realize that one of the giant obstacles to my faith is me and my response to my faith. What would have happened had Jesus given in to fear? What would’ve happened had the Lord called down twelve legions of angels? (Cf. Matthew 26.53) You see, these doors were right in front of Jesus and He had the freedom to reach over and open them. But He didn’t; He loved too much.

Jesus didn’t do what He did for Himself; He did what He did for the Father. I think we tend to forget that. All of the gospel writers make it clear that Jesus’ actions were fully spelled out prophetically in the Scripture and the events and circumstances of Jesus’ life were in perfect accord with all the prophecies written about Him. Jesus knew the Old Testament spoke plainly about Him. And by the presence of the Holy Spirit Jesus knew everything that happened to Him and around Him was carefully constructed and coordinated by God. So Jesus willingly participated and when it was over He had the freedom and the joy to proclaim it done: It is finished!

So in my faith-journey I too must remember who I am doing all this for and why. And I must remember that He who began a good work in me will see it through to completion so that at that moment all who care in heaven and on earth may know it is finished. The biggest results of my faith-journey and yours in not the outcome, as glorious as that may be; it’s the doing of it on a steady faithful daily basis, joyfully willingly, and without fear.

And one day before God and all creation it will be said, it is finished and all heaven and earth will know that what you and I did for the Lord, we did it joyfully and willingly… My friends, let’s accept our lot in life and give God glory by cooperating with Him – just like Jesus did.

No comments: