Friday, August 19, 2011

God Without Goodies


08/19/11

Jeremiah 45.4,5 4 But the LORD has told me to say to you, ‘This is what the LORD says: I will overthrow what I have built and uproot what I have planted, throughout the earth. 5 Should you then seek great things for yourself? Do not seek them. For I will bring disaster on all people, declares the LORD, but wherever you go I will let you escape with your life.’” NIV

Baruch seemed to be like most people I know – he seemed to want to live in peace and enjoy the planet around him. He probably didn’t go out of his way to find trouble and he was employed by Jeremiah. I’m assuming that Baruch was a religious man because of his association with the prophet and I assume he served Jeremiah well. But I think Baruch had questions like: what happens to me when I get old? Do I ever get to settle down with a family and just live the Palestinian Dream? What about retirement? What about home ownership?

God seemed to be reassuring Baruch that He had other plans for this man: Baruch, should you seek health, wealth, and prosperity? Don’t seek those because when I do what I am going to do none of that will bring you what you seek; only I can give you those things. And the brass ring is that you get to be the spectator of it all – you get to keep your life when everyone else is losing theirs.

Sometimes, I wonder what is going to happen to me when I get old. Sometimes I wonder if I’m going to end up out along some deserted highway in Arizona – just me, a dog, and a small backpack with a few personal items. Sometimes, I wonder if my imagination is just getting the better of me. Whatever happens I will remember what God said to Baruch even if I only drift though Jeremiah’s prophecy once a year.

As I age, I am leaning to let go of the imaginations and simply learn to live enjoying the day that I have and the moments in that day. I can let my imagination run wild but when I do I usually end up with just a wild imagination and emotions that are improperly fueled by trying to live out fantasy rather than reality. At least reality is real.

I can empathize with Baruch – there are times when I opine that I seem to have inherited the short stick and am going to miss out on all the goodies. I am quickly reminded however that in my brief experience, goodies without God are as worthless as fantasies in my imagination. And God without goodies is greater gain of infinite worth. God seemed to be saying to uncertain Baruch, “Listen fella, in all of what you’re going through, don’t forget about Me. As I told my friend Abraham, I’ll also tell you:  I am your very great Reward.” What ultimately happened to Baruch, God only knows. I want to believe he lived out the rest of his life in amazement of the miraculous provision of the presence of God.

Empires be damned; go with God!

Baruch’s calling to serve God’s prophet was greater than any bennies he would get along the way. God knew it, and through Jeremiah, He graciously told him so… And we have his story to prove it.

No comments: