Sunday, August 28, 2011

As I am Called

08.28.11

Ezekiel 2.3-7 “Son of man, I am sending you to the Israelites, to a rebellious nation that has rebelled against me; they and their ancestors have been in revolt against me to this very day. The people to whom I am sending you are obstinate and stubborn. Say to them, ‘This is what the Sovereign LORD says.’ And whether they listen or fail to listen—for they are a rebellious people—they will know that a prophet has been among them. And you, son of man, do not be afraid of them or their words. Do not be afraid, though briers and thorns are all around you and you live among scorpions. Do not be afraid of what they say or be terrified by them, though they are a rebellious people. You must speak my words to them, whether they listen or fail to listen, for they are rebellious. NIV

God wasn’t messing around; He called Ezekiel to preach His work even to the exiles in Babylon. It really doesn’t matter where we go, what we’ve done; what we’re doing, or going to do, we need the word of the Lord; and one way or the other He’s gonna give it to us. God is relentless.

I had to chuckle this morning as I read Ezekiel’s description of the vision of God. The second commandment says: “You shall not make for yourself an image in the form of anything in heaven above or on the earth beneath or in the waters below…” (Exodus 20.4 NIV) I can’t make heads or tails out of Ezekiel’s vision let alone come up with some image to put on my wall or hang around my neck. God is indescribable.

These words to Ezekiel were today, a balm for my soul; I don’t think in my current frame of mind I could’ve read any more appropriate or applicable words. God sends all of us with His message to the people around us. We’re to share it with both excellence and with urgency. And we’re to do it with tenacity. I see I have an important job to do. God cares about people.

Today, my thoughts have been sort of random. I’ve been thinking about things and trying to see what’s next. I know that wherever we are and whatever we’re going through, God knows and God cares; and one of the quickest ways to turn my emotional storm surge around is to simply refocus on what God has called me to do: act as He commands. I think my biggest challenge of late has been the ‘movie’ that I’ve allowed to be playing in my mind. That movie is not in sync with God’s command at all, so my choice is to either keep watching, or to obey God and start acting on His command.

The Scripture says that after Ezekiel’s vision he sat “deeply distressed” for seven days (Cf. Ezekiel 3.15) – such was the magnitude of the ministry of God’s word to his soul. I now have today – the Lord ’s Day – to think about all of what He’s said to me this weekend and to prepare myself for action as I start my work week tomorrow.

I am to go.
I am to say.
I am to be fearless.
And I am to accept the fact that most won’t listen…
God calls. My job is to do as I am called and leave the results up to God.

The Apostle Paul said in 1 Corinthians 10:31, So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God…(and I am today reminded: and as I am called.)

No comments: