Monday, February 20, 2017

The God I Serve

2/20/2017

Acts 27.23-26 23 Last night an angel of the God to whom I belong and whom I serve stood beside me 24 and said, ‘Do not be afraid, Paul. You must stand trial before Caesar; and God has graciously given you the lives of all who sail with you.’ 25 So keep up your courage, men, for I have faith in God that it will happen just as he told me. 26 Nevertheless, we must run aground on some island.

In the account in Acts 27, we see the will of man pitted against nature. Sailing in ancient days was risky at best, but sailing at the wrong time of year was catastrophic. Paul had been sent to appear before Caesar and he was under guard because he was a prisoner of the Roman government. So, dispatched to Rome, he was with other prisoners who were to be dealt with by Rome as well.

Sailing, although the most expedient way to transport these men, was problematic – weather and other factors prevailed. One factor was timing, and another was commerce – the ship’s owner(s) got paid for the use of his boat. Commerce overruled nature...

Paul was certainly no seaman but he had sailed before and he – untrained as he was – knew there were better times to sail during the year than others. It’s like us, travel in winter – sometimes the roads are not all that conducive for journeying. Paul told the centurion and the ship’s owner that sailing so late in the year would be disastrous but he was overruled by an impatient soldier, and the pilot of the ship.

The story goes that, “When a gentle south wind began to blow, they saw their opportunity; so, they weighed anchor and sailed along the shore of Crete.” (Verse 13) And not long after, the breeze turned into a near hurricane and the ship was driven along by the storm.

I can imagine the mood. But Paul, in great wisdom, stood and said: “For the last fourteen days you have been in constant suspense and have gone without food—you haven’t eaten anything. Now I urge you to take some food. You need it to survive. Not one of you will lose a single hair from his head.” (Vv. 33-34) He lightened the mood. Everyone ate and was encouraged.

The point of all this is, we are, as Christ’s servants, to look for every opportunity to lighten the mood. Not everyone believes but everyone suffers from fear, and everyone needs to be somehow encouraged and urged to, perhaps, see things from a different perspective. Followers of Jesus are to take the initiative to make the best of things and set the example in leading the way. Food and some brief fellowship certainly prepared them all for what was coming next.

My job in this world is to avoid the negative-Nancy’s, and to look, in faith, for the God I serve to come to my aid – however and whatever that looks like. How I act, is going to go a long way to show others how I relate to the God I say I serve. My actions truly underscore my words.

The ship wrecked and all were saved. But, I think, all of them viewed this Jewish preacher differently after that and I believe God used Paul to reveal to them more about Himself, at work, in the life of His servant.

Father, may I learn to serve like Paul. May I keep my eyes on You no matter what. And may the way I conduct myself reveal to someone who You are – the God I serve… Amen

No comments: