Sunday, February 5, 2017

The Go In God

2/5/2017

Psalm 46.1-2 1 God is our refuge and strength, an ever-present help in trouble. 2 Therefore we will not fear, though the earth give way and the mountains fall into the heart of the sea… - the Sons of Korah

It doesn’t say “if”, or “when”, but, “though”. Just ask the folks who’ve experienced a massive earthquake, they’ll tell you: “…though the earth give way and the mountains fall into the heart of the sea…” This kind of stuff has been happening for eons: earthquakes, landslides, and mountains collapsing into the ocean.

We take land for granted. We think land is land, and it’s firm and stable; and for the most part it is – until it isn’t. Then what do we do? I think the word, though, is important because it implies what has happened, could very well happen again. Then what do we do?

When things happen that are way outside of our ability to control then we get scared and, many get religious. Unfortunately, fear and religion (siblings in the same family) are no match for the earth giving way and the mountains falling into the heart of the sea. The only thing that matters then is faith.

If God is our refuge and strength, and present in our troubles, then we can confidently not fear – even though the worst happens. God is in charge.

When all in our world seems to be falling apart, it is best, not to get religious, but to get God. He’s ready to help. But getting God will cost something – it will cost all we have. Well, then what do we do? We trust God. With all we have. It’s not a matter of, have or not have; it’s a matter of, God, or not God. Earthquakes and landslides are going to happen – is it better to go through them with God, or without?

I think too, the Psalm is implying that even in the worst we can think of, God is there. We all worry and fret and fear the worst. But God is there. Worrying is a waste of time, but when reality happens and the land does fail, and the mountains do slide, God is there. And because He is, we can trust that all is going to work out for our best, no matter the outcome.

I’m in trouble today. I haven’t the time or inclination to go into what ‘it’ is; but I am in trouble today. And I needed to be reminded of what God does, and where God is, when I am in trouble. God is my, refuge and strength, an ever-present help in trouble. I’ve been in trouble before; I’ll be in trouble again. God is there.

There are lessons I need to learn. There are things I need to let go of. God is there in times of trouble. I think it would be nice if I could remember, God is there, in the good times; whatever I perceive those to be. But I think that’s the point: remembering God, our refuge and strength, an ever-present Help in trouble and in good times as well. He does well in both.

Today, I don’t know what to do or where to go, but I have God and I am to remember the ‘go’ in God.

Father, the adventure continues. I trust You today; You have never let us down. You are there and present in every season and I praise You for that. Help us Helper – give us wisdom and direction. And increase our faith – we depend on You! Amen.

No comments: