Saturday, February 4, 2017

Grace and Support

2/4/2017

Acts 11.17 “So if God gave them the same gift He gave us who believed in the Lord Jesus Christ, who was I to think that I could stand in God’s way?” – St. Peter

Far too often there is a part of us that wants to criticize others. Sometimes it is hurtful criticism; other times it is ‘helpful’ criticism. The problem with criticism, it's criticism. A good question to ask in such moments is this: Who am I to think that I can cast judgment (criticism) on someone when I can truly, only judge based on outward appearances?

It gets worse.

In the Body of Christ, each of us in on our own journey individually. If you think about that, it’s amazing anything gets done at all. But each of us is making our own way in our relationship with God. Therefore, God is at work in each of us, individually, yet collectively. What one person has a problem with another doesn’t. Where one succeeds, another stumbles. Who am I to get in the way (with my words, thoughts, and preferences) of what God is doing in the life of another?

In Acts, in the new Church, there was some old stuff left over. There was still a nationalistic, racial prejudice between Jews and Gentiles that was a source of contention among those in the Church. So, when Peter went into Cornelius’ house, He wasn’t praised that the gospel was shared; instead he was hazed: “You went into the house of uncircumcised men and ate with them.” (Acts 11.3)

It’s funny, Peter was one who earlier shared that very criticism. And now he had to explain himself as to why he had done the unthinkable as a Jew: sharing food and space with gentiles – and a Roman Army Officer to boot. (Oh NOOOOO!)

Peter’s response is classic and one I can take to heart. Peter said, “So if God gave them the same gift He gave us who believed in the Lord Jesus Christ, who was I to think that I could stand in God’s way?” That’s a really good question. And the Church, well they went to the next level: Acceptance of God’s work among the ‘outcasts’ (people they didn’t see eye to eye with…)

Now, there (maybe) aren’t overt outcasts today but there sure are people who bug us, who do and say things that make us want to role our eyes in dismay or disgust. God is working in the lives of everyone in the Church individually, collectively. My vote is to let God be God and keep my opinions to myself. Who am I to think that I can – or should – stand in God’s way?

Now, of course, there may be maturity issues, or other things in their lives that might prevent them from currently doing leadership type stuff,  but if God is God then He is at work in their lives just the same as mine. My stance? Humbly, let God be God (in them as He is in me) and keep my opinions to myself.

Father, my prayer is that I remember this and cooperate with You in the work of the Kingdom rather than criticize someone I think is not doing “it” the way I think it should be done. Lord, may I be gracious and supportive because that is what I need: grace and support. Amen.

No comments: