Monday, February 29, 2016

Thankful in Advance

2/29/2016

Psalm 119.14. Your promise is well tried, and your servant loves it. – St. Anonymous

(*I do read Psalm 119 more often, but in my reading plan, I read it for sure every Leap Day; once every 4 years.)

Psalm 119 is a mouthful, and when I first began to read it, it sounded like the same thing over and over and over again: Lord, I love your law; Lord I need your statutes, etc. But I have learned to read the Psalm more slowly and carefully, and when I do, I see something new. Today was no different.

Today, I discovered a principle I think I’m to strive for: Your promise is well tried, and your servant loves it. What is well-tried? It is well used. Well-tried is like the grip on a mountain bike; one’s hand is never far from it while riding. Well-tried is the result of dependability and trustworthiness. Well-tried is customary. Well-tried is proven. We all go back to the proven over and over and over again.

Our problem with God, perhaps, is we tend to think of our relationship with Him as sort of a once and done. It’s like the old couple sitting in their porch chairs on a summer evening and she says, Honey, you never tell me you love me. He replies, Darlin’, when we got married all those years ago, I told you I loved you, and if that ever changes, you’ll be the first one to know. We often treat God like that. But in reality, we’re far too needy to leave God alone for too long: Lord, help me, feed me, give me, give me, give me

The Psalmist said, Your promise is well tried, and your servant loves it. He used God’s promises a lot. He knew it was trustworthy to take God at His word. He tried it over and over and over again and he knew there was no other way. God is reliable, not to mention faithful, loving, and true.

If God is omniscient (all-knowing) then is there anything He doesn’t already know? I mean really, if God knows what I need before it’s ever entered my consciousness, then why do I treat Him like He is forgetful, or suffering from some deitic form of Alzheimer’s? Oh, you want proof? Just listen to our prayers… and how often we beg God for something rather than thank Him profusely for providing… and then patiently waiting for Him to provide what we need, and the maturity to trust Him as faithfully as He treats us.

Our prayer-life will tell us a lot about what we think of God.

I do need God. I do need Him to come through for me in ways that are exceedingly abundantly beyond what I can ask or imagine (Ephesians 3). But I needn’t beg; God’s hearing isn’t diminished in the least. I must learn more and more to thank Him for what He’s already doing on my behalf, and to anticipate His involvement in my living in greater and greater ways – He’s good at that beyond my wildest dreams.

Father, may it be recorded of me that, Your promises are well tried in my life, and Your servant wouldn’t have it any other way. Teach me Your ways, and may I rejoice in the learning – amen.

No comments: