Monday, February 22, 2016

Immediately


2/22/2016

And when he came up out of the water, immediately he saw the heavens being torn open and the Spirit descending on him like a dove. Mark 1:10

The word, immediately appears multiple times in Mark 1. Immediately means without mediation, or, as we might think: going directly to the boss with no interruption. When I go to see the doc, I get seated immediately in the waiting area until I get called back to the inner sanctum where I wait in the exam room, where eventually, the doc comes to take care of my medical needs. I usually get the bill immediately as well. Mostly, to us, immediately means somebody wants something from us: now.

Also, in Mark 1, Jesus said, “The time is fulfilled, and the kingdom of God is at hand; repent and believe in the gospel.” (v. 14) In other words: the time is now and it is immediate – I’m not waiting any longer to tell you about Myself and My Kingdom. It seems God doesn’t have any delays in His plan – it always happens when the time is fulfilled, or just right.

In Galatians 4, 4 & 5 Paul wrote: But when the fullness of time had come, God sent forth his Son, born of woman, born under the law, to redeem those who were under the law, so that we might receive adoption as sons. This is immediacy. The time was right and it was right now.

I’ve always wondered what the right time is/was for God. Apparently, it is when God is satisfied, and man is not expecting it. The ancient Jews in Jesus’ day weren’t expecting it. The day I got saved I didn’t wake up and exclaim: Well, this is it; today is the day! When it happened it was immediate and it was unexpected.

When someone comes to Christ, seeking for Him to become their Lord and Savior, there is no waiting period, they get ushered into the presence at once; immediately! The waiting is on our part, we’re usually the ones dragging our feet. But not Jesus – He is in the right-now business.

It’s all about the timing of the heart. God’s timing began the day He created the world. His timing followed on the day the two ate the forbidden fruit and found themselves in need of as escape from death. God’s heart is always on time: let’s do this right now.

I need to remember that the time for people is right now. So will, some won’t, who’s next; and can we come back to you at a later moment? In the fullness of time, there is only immediate. When the heart is ready the Spirit brings life. Can we believe that for ourselves? Can we believe that for others? God believed it for us.

Lord, prepare my heart this day for the adventure that lies ahead and for the ones You’ve prepared for me to encounter. May I be ready immediately to respond to the needs You reveal – Amen.

No comments: