Saturday, February 13, 2016

Finishing Well

2/13/2016

Acts 20.24 But I do not account my life of any value nor as precious to myself, if only I may finish my course and the ministry that I received from the Lord Jesus, to testify to the gospel of the grace of God. – St. Paul

I think Paul’s relationship with the church at Ephesus was one of his most rewarding. His most affectionate epistle was written to them. And the farewell written of in Acts 20 shows how deep and special was his love for these folks.

If there’s one thing Paul wanted more than anything else, it was to finish well. I can identify; I think that’s a good idea. I too, another Paul, want to finish well, especially for God and His kingdom. Money won’t do it, possessions won’t do it, neither will position. Only walking with Him in humility and obedience means anything.

So, what is the meaning and purpose of finishing well? I think it’s pretty simple actually – I think it means accomplishing what God has put me here on earth to do. And truly, that isn’t all that difficult. It means doing a good job in all I do to love Him and love others. It means being a good spouse (if I have a spouse). It means being a good parent or grandparent; or aunt or uncle; niece or nephew. It means being a good and loyal friend. It means being a good employee. Or boss. It means being Jesus to everyone I encounter. Till the day I breath my last.

Finishing well means finding purpose in life and doing everything I can to fulfill that purpose for the good of others and the glory of God. (See 1 Corinthians 10) Paul knew his mission and his God – we are no different in that’s what we’re called to: knowing, growing, and going. How we finish shows how committed we are to what God has called us to do and to be.

We should do our best to know God personally and deeply and the rest will take care of itself. Psalm 37.4 says: Delight yourself in the Lord, and he will give you the desires of your heart. That’s where we find meaning and purpose and the reason to finish well. The hardest thing we have to do in this life is keep our focus on Jesus. The easiest thing to do beyond that is to trust Him with the results. Jesus knows just exactly what He desires from each of us and it’s…wait for it…Him!

The Apostle Paul wasn’t a complex person. There may have been a time when he thought he was but the end of the race for him was simply: …I do not account my life of any value nor as precious to myself, if only I may finish my course and the ministry that I received from the Lord Jesus, to testify to the gospel of the grace of God. If Paul was anything at all, he was serious about his relationship with Jesus and how that relationship impacted others, and pleased God.

Lord, may I emulate this great disciple and focus wholly and solely on my relationship with You to the good of others, and to Your glorious grace – Amen.

No comments: