Saturday, February 27, 2016

Persistence

2/27/2016

Mark 6.6 And [Jesus] marveled because of their unbelief. And he went about among the villages teaching. – St. Mark

I would translate this in a number of different ways: How can you be so stupid? Why is it that because it is Me, you can’t accept it? To name just a couple. I marvel that Jesus marveled. But this was also a side of his humanity, wondering what got them to where they were, believing what they did.

The sunny side of this story is that “…He went about among the villages teaching…” Jesus persisted in what He came/was sent to do: teach and preach and reach people for the Kingdom of God. His neighbors and the people He knew in Nazareth may not have accepted Him but others did. It is almost laughable the lengths God has gone to get us to accept Him for Who He is and what He’s done. I think His marveling persists to this day.

It is like God, however, to do things the opposite of the way we think and the way we understand. If left to our own devices, we’d persist in our sins and die meaningless, purposeless lives. God does things that go against our grain. It’s not that He does it purposely as much as it is even if He served it up in gold foil on a silver platter, we still wouldn’t get it because of our present fallenness. But despite God’s and our ways not meshing, God persists in working in our lives so that we do get it – God desires we succeed.

And to what do we succeed? God Himself. As a man pursues and gets himself a wife, God pursues us. Our problem is we don’t recognize God’s pursuit. Or we misunderstand His pursuit: what does He want to take from me; where does He want me to go; what does He want me to do (that I don’t want to do)? Does an infant child entertain those thoughts about his or her parents? Of course not. And what does the parent want? To give him or herself to the child.

Jesus wasn’t appreciated in His own hometown. Go figure. We know who you are, we know what you’ve done. But Jesus demonstrated mighty works among those people and yet they were hardened against Him because He didn’t fit their mold, and He was from Nazareth – tells you what they really thought about themselves…

It is a marvel that I persist in approaching God my way. I’m not really sure what other way there is besides His way. I need to be taught His way. Psalm 25:4 Make me to know your ways, O Lord; teach me your paths. Psalm 119:26 When I told of my ways, you answered me; teach me your statutes!  Psalm 119:29 Put false ways far from me and graciously teach me your law!

Jesus marveled at people’s petulant persistence. I don’t want to be in that crowd.

Lord, help me to know Your ways. Teach me Your paths. Teach me Your statutes. Put false ways far from me and graciously teach me Your law. Amen

No comments: