Monday, October 19, 2015

The Journey

10/19/2015

Acts 10.17 If then God gave the same gift to them as he gave to us when we believed in the Lord Jesus Christ, who was I that I could stand in God's way?”- St. Peter

I work with kids in a youth-ish ministry on Wednesday nights at my Church; it’s my third year. It’s interesting to me (and rewarding) to see the changes in their personalities and commitment level from year to year. What is also the reward to me is to see maturity take hold of them as they age and grow. I get to be a part of their lives for an hour and a half on Wednesdays and with some of them, we have built a friendship.

There is one young man in particular that I may have struggled with early on. He’s the kind of kid who loves attention, is very bright, and isn’t too intimidated by an old control freak like me. He is the child of a patched together family and he has a big personality. But he is also now in tenth grade and it is mildly unusual for kids to remain in this ministry past eighth grade; for most of them it becomes less cool than it did when they were in sixth grade.

This morning I thought about him as I read St. Peter’s words: “who was I that I could stand in God’s way?” Everybody is on a journey in this life. We’re all going somewhere. That’s how life is: a journey.

One’s journey may be static; one’s may be fluid. One’s may be to be raised in a traditional family setting; another’s may be to be raised by step parents, or just a single parent. One may be recognized as handsome or pretty; another may be like the rest of us, sort of nondescript. One may have talents and abilities; another may have to learn it the hard way and struggle. Everybody is on a journey of some kind, and like Peter I ask, who am I to stand in God’s way?

Each week for the last three years I have seen my young friend grow and mature and become, I assume, more of the man that God has created him to be. What’s funny is God is doing the same thing in my heart as well. My journey is fluid.

My prayer for my young friend is that he remain steadfast and that he remain faithful. He is the next generation’s leader. I won’t be around when he steps up to take the lead. But God will be, and God, I believe, has His hand on an energetic young man who seems eager to achieve and believe. I’m glad I get to spend some time with him each week and be a part of God’s process in him…


Lord, this morning I pray for all of my young friends and ask that You strengthen and empower me to participate in their lives with the attitude that St. Peter had: who am I that I can stand in Your way as You mold and shape these kids into the leaders of tomorrow. My prayer for them is that You have Your way with them and let the world be awed in the work You do in them, for them, and through them. Amen.

No comments: