Thursday, October 8, 2015

Living in Today

10/08/15

Luke 21.14-15 14 Settle it therefore in your minds not to meditate beforehand how to answer, 15 for I will give you a mouth and wisdom, which none of your adversaries will be able to withstand or contradict. – Jesus

I had a conversation with myself the other day – sometimes I am the only one to talk to…ever experience that? So I’m thinking about my life and I think about this: I live today, but I have my eye on tomorrow. Tomorrow isn’t here yet, but the track record stands, thus far, that it will come. No guarantees, but a pretty good chance that tomorrow will become today – tomorrow.

Well, Paul there are no tomorrow’s. Fair enough. One day there will be not even a concept of tomorrow. But even Jesus spoke of tomorrow:

“Nation will rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom. There will be great earthquakes, and in various places famines and pestilences. And there will be terrors and great signs from heaven. But before all this they will lay their hands on you and persecute you, delivering you up to the synagogues and prisons, and you will be brought before kings and governors for my name's sake. This will be your opportunity to bear witness. You will be delivered up even by parents and brothers and relatives and friends, and some of you they will put to death. You will be hated by all for my name's sake. But not a hair of your head will perish. By your endurance you will gain your lives.” (Luke 21.10-13, 16-19 ESV)

Jesus knew something. I live today, but I think about tomorrow.

And then I said to myself: self, you have to live for today but you have to factor in tomorrow. At the end of all things there will only (as now) be today. Okay, Turk, enough with the plays on words: out with it!

Alright. When Jesus foretold the future, it was then, and it is now. Their future led us to our today. Our future will take us to tomorrow but the fact remains the same: the hostility of humanity against the people of God remains fixed – yesterday, today, and tomorrow.

BUT... We’re not to fall into the trap of fixating on tomorrow until we get finished with today. And when the time comes to make a stand for our defense tomorrow, we trust Jesus to give us the right words to say in our defense at the right time. No sense in wasting time worrying about trying to figure it out now, Jesus will guide and provide when tomorrow comes…

How I live today affects my tomorrow. How I live today means a lot on that inevitable day whether in hostile or passive persecution as to my defense. But don’t waste time worrying – just live faithfully for Jesus today.

Lord Jesus, that’s my prayer: to let what will be, be and live for today with my eye towards eternity…Amen

No comments: