Friday, October 17, 2014

In Faith... with Children

10.17.14

Job 1.5 And when the days of the feast had run their course, Job would send and consecrate them, and he would rise early in the morning and offer burnt offerings according to the number of them all. For Job said, “It may be that my children have sinned, and cursed God in their hearts.” Thus Job did continually. – Anonymous (ESV)

I’m not sure even scholarship is enough for the book of Job; at least in attempting to understand it. Sometimes it may be better, when sorting through a pile of paradoxes, to pick the ones that are most promising and the least puzzling, and leave the rest for another day. Job is a pile of paradoxes.

The least puzzling (although it creates enormous questions for me) is Job knew and worshiped God; the God of the Hebrews; although Job himself wasn’t, apparently, Semitic. However, it is puzzling that Job’s respect for God doesn’t seem to have a Hebraic qualifier; somehow, Job seemed to have picked the Right God. That in itself isn’t quite so puzzling because one needn’t be a Jew to worship God (that benefits me).

Another thing that isn’t quite so puzzling is Job’s love for his children as evidenced in his continual offering of sacrifices on behalf of his kids. Dad’s ought to intercede on behalf of their children. Job did this continually.

And I think this is what is so appealing to me as a dad – the interceding on behalf of my kids. I have two out on their own, and one still at home; and wherever or however they are, it is my privilege to talk to God about them. And to ask God’s blessing upon them. And to ask God to keep them safe and to give them wisdom. And to help them sense His presence and power in their lives. And to touch their relationships, to keep them pure. That I do continually.

But I am not in control of who they are – they are on their own in that regard. But my love for them is in no way diminished if they don’t live their lives the way I do. I just love them and try to help them as much as I can; but I pray for them – continually.

Job’s character is called into question in a heavenly discussion of which he had no part or say. Job just dealt with the hand he was dealt; the best he could. And though he fumbled and stumbled, God never once called him a loser or unfaithful. And at the end of his trial he was blessed for having stuck it out with God despite his theological waverings.

Job is in some ways a model for me. I admire his conduct in his trial and I admire the fact that he stuck it out with God. It is a call to me to do likewise and to intercede on behalf of my kids and others that they stick it out with God as well. We all need to be numbered as faithful – even when we stumble and fumble. And we need to pray for others who may not see God the way we think they should – we just might learn a thing or two about our own beliefs in the process…


Father, You knew Job and You cared for him. You blessed him and walked alongside him in his sufferings. You do the same for me. You cause me to pray for my kids. And You’ve never called me a loser. Thank You Father. May I walk with You this day in faith, with children. Amen

No comments: