Monday, October 13, 2014

First Wars

10.13.14

Nehemiah 9.22 22 “And you gave them kingdoms and peoples and allotted to them every corner. So they took possession of the land of Sihon king of Heshbon and the land of Og king of Bashan.”

There are at least nine references in Scripture regarding the two kings: Sihon, king of Heshbon, and Og, the king of Bashan. These are the first two kings that Israel dealt with in their exodus from Egypt into Canaan. It was the first time Israel went into battle. It was successful. Two powerful kings were defeated and their territories were claimed by God’s people for their own.

In many of the prayers and worship services mentioned in the Old Testament, including this one in Nehemiah 9, the defeat of Sihon and Og are mentioned; they are remembered. Even as far as Psalm 135, these two kings are remembered as significant in the history of the Jews.

As I read this, this morning, I thought of first wars – or the things Christians deal with in their own exodus from life before Jesus into life with Jesus. Now, I must admit, these thoughts are new to me and I struggle with them because like a brilliant beam of sunlight on a dark and cloudy day – it seemed to last only for a moment or two. But it seemed important. What about first wars?

For that matter, what about current wars? What do I seem to have had some victory over, and what do I keep having issues with? If you’re like me (God have mercy!) then there are things in your life that are sneaky and insidious that creep in silently and attempt to assassinate your spiritual focus. At times they seem so distant and at others, they seem so present. First wars are now but a memory in the current wars that are raging.

I think the value of first wars is the remembrance of how God led us through them and gave us the victory. Salvation itself may have been (and probably is in the lives of most) a first war. I know it was in mine. And the remembrance of a first war is important to me because it is when God led me from darkness into light and from death into life. That’s a big deal! And it must be remembered often in the life of a saint because life’s wars come at us to tell us we ain’t.

It doesn’t matter how far I’ve fallen or how miserably I’ve managed, the important first war is this: Jesus came into my life and saved me and He has never let me go! I might feel like He hasn't but He has! Sihon and Og, in my own experience, have been defeated forever! I need to remind myself in my current wars, that their defeat was significant and has changed my life forever.


Lord Jesus, sometimes it is easy to forget what You’ve led me through and what You’ve overcome in my life. Sometimes it’s felt like world war III. But it’s vital for me in my worship to remember what You’ve led me through, and over what You’ve given me the victory. Help me this day to remember and recite what You’ve done in me that I may remember going forward from here. Help me to never forget the first wars and the victory You provided as I am in the fight of my current ones – Amen.

No comments: