Sunday, October 20, 2013

The Poison Arrows of God

10.20.13

Job 6.4 4 For the arrows of the Almighty are in me; my spirit drinks their poison; the terrors of God are arrayed against me. (ESV)

I think in this part of Job’s suffering his pain was brutally intense – internally and externally. I think he was confused, concerned, and crying out: Why God!? And I think Heaven was silent.

We often (mistakenly) think we deserve an explanation from God: God why is this happening to me; what have I done? Pain is a season in life where we tend to quickly draw conclusions and make judgments about our plight – no one likes to be sick or disabled. So we ask God for answers and possibly come to the conclusion in the silence that follows that God somehow doesn’t care and it isn’t fair that He didn’t bring us in on the planning meeting for our current condition.

And as Job sought answers and he thought about arrows and poison, and terrors.

Thank God there is Jesus. Thank God there is the Holy Spirit. Thank God that in the midst of very troubling, trying, terrifying and tough circumstances He has told us: I love you and I am with you. There is nothing like pain that brings us to that place where we have to make a decision as to whether or not we believe that.

For us, the difficulty of Job is we’re let in on the story – we’re told from the get-go that God allowed Satan to buffet Job as he sought – only don’t kill him. Today’s narrative in Job 6 and 7 indicates Job preferred death: at least if that happened he quit being so miserable and mystified.

Recently I’ve come across two different posts that have to do with the myth of God’s only giving us what we can handle: WE CAN’T HANDLE ANY OF IT!!!!! It doesn’t matter if we’re in on the planning meeting or not – we can’t handle any of it. Perhaps that thought stems from a misunderstanding of 1 Corinthians 10: No temptation has overtaken you that is not common to man. God is faithful, and he will not let you be tempted beyond your ability, but with the temptation he will also provide the way of escape, that you may be able to endure it. (V.13)

Temptation is different than suffering, and even in the midst of intense suffering the temptation may be to blame God; but according to Paul, there is even a way to avoid that and to endure.

Even if, the arrows of the Almighty are in me and my spirit drinks in their poison, and the terrors of doubt and misunderstanding are arrayed against me there is still this unfailing truth: Jesus loves me this I know for the Bible tells me so. I have to cling steadfastly to that. I’m sunk and miserable if I don’t. I don’t have all the answers – but I do have one: He loves me.

Lord,
Let the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be acceptable in your sight, O Lord, my Rock and my Redeemer. – amen.

No comments: