Saturday, October 5, 2013

Difference

10.05.13

Esther 5.9 9 And Haman went out that day joyful and glad of heart. But when Haman saw Mordecai in the king's gate, that he neither rose nor trembled before him, he was filled with wrath against Mordecai. (ESV)

One of the sub-plots of the Book of Esther is the difference between Mordecai the Jew, and Haman the Agagite. Of Mordecai we know this: he was a Benjamite and the cousin of Hadassah, who was also called Esther. We know he was exiled to Babylon when the Israeli king, Jeconiah, was brought to Babylon by Nebuchadnezzar. We also know Mordecai, apparently, adopted Esther as his own daughter and held a place of tremendous influence in her life: what Mordecai advised, Esther did.

The other character in the sub-plot, Haman was probably a member of the court of the Persian king, Ahasuerus. The problem with Haman (as far as the story goes) was he was a descendant of Agag, an ancient Amalekite king whose heart was determined to destroy the people of Israel. (See 1 Samuel 15). Like ancestor, like descendant: Haman the Agagite was determined to destroy the people of God: the Jews.

Where the story gets interesting to me is that Mordecai knows two things: who he is, and who Haman is. It’s interesting to deal with a person who knows who they are. There is strength about them, peace about them, and life about them; they don’t play games and live with intention and purpose. They’re not necessarily leaders but they do exude strength of character and life. Mordecai dealt with life from a position of assurance and strength, whereas Haman dealt from weakness. Haman had the position and the title but he was afraid, emotional, and small. Like ancestor, like descendant.

The rubs come in life where those who don’t know who they are bump into those who do. And those who know who they are know it because of God; He is the Source of all Knowledge and Strength. If I don’t know who I am all I need do is know God and from there all the pieces will begin to fit together properly. Mordecai, the Jew, knew God and knew he was one of God’s own. Other Jews then may not have come to grips with that knowledge but Mordecai did. And Mordecai represents to us: those who know who they are. And those who know who they are, are those who have faith in God: the Source of all Wisdom and Strength.

Much of my life has been spent as a person of weakness and smallness – I couldn’t come to grips with who I am in Him. This I know: I am a child of the living God. Perfect? No. Brilliant? No. A sinner saved by grace? No! A child of the King? Yes! What the Bible says about me is what I’m to believe… no matter what happens. The “Haman’s” in life will try to convince me my Bible is wrong. My faith in God will show me otherwise. Who I listen to: God or "Haman" will ultimately make all the difference.

Lord, You used Mordecai in a crucial time in the history of Your people because he believed in You and knew where he stood; he knew who he was and Whose he was. I ask You for the same knowledge and faith that filled Mordecai’s heart – he stood firm in You. May I do the same. I must do the same in these turbulent days. And so Lord, I stand with You. In Jesus, amen.

No comments: