Thursday, November 29, 2012

The Cold Shoulder



11.29.12

2 Thessalonians 3.14-15 14 If anyone does not obey our instruction in this letter, take special note of that person and do not associate with him, so that he will be put to shame. 15 Yet do not regard him as an enemy, but admonish him as a brother. NASB

I wonder what would happen in the local church if this actually happened: putting someone to shame for leading a disobedient life. I wonder. I wonder if any outside the church would see the necessity of this and support the effort to admonish this person to: “get your act together man!” This is pretty cold stuff.

In church today – at least in America as far as I have seen in 30+ years of church life – we don’t seem to pay much attention to what others do. I think we assume we all live obedient lives and walk faithfully, and obediently. I think we want to believe that. But I’m not sure we really know. I’m not sure we really care. I think our attitude is more: don’t ask, don’t tell. I don’t think the apostle would be comfortable in our culture and in our churches. I think he’d give us the cold shoulder.

As I read the Bible, one of the places I get back to in my mind and heart – over and over – is the place of expectation: what is expected of me as a believer in Jesus Christ and as a child of God? I can think of a few – like:
·         I am expected to love: God and my fellow man. God, with all my heart, soul, mind, and strength; and my fellow man as myself.
·         I am expected to be Holy: as my Father in Heaven is holy.
·         I am expected to participate: in the Kingdom of God as an active participant and to support the mission of the Kingdom: redeeming mankind into fellowship and friendship with God.
·         I am expected to walk (live): as Jesus walked and lived. Walking is the motion of ones life and Jesus walked in perfect motion with God by the Holy Spirit. Jesus walked in submission to the will of the Father and only did what He was instructed to do, and only said what He was permitted to say. (Wow!)
·         I am expected to: hold my fellow believers to the same standard I am held to – it will be a lonely endeavor. I am expected to hold myself to the same standard I hold others to…
·         I am expected to walk in the highest standards of love and devotion, and represent God as His ambassador in all that I do.
·         I am expected to urge, correct, suffer, admonish, teach, heal, give, respect, chide, encourage, comfort, pray, rejoice, hope, love, and have faith, and be God’s man.

I haven’t even scratched the surface, but this is a pretty good start. And these are the expectations that I’m aware of right off the top of my head. And these are the expectations that God Himself has placed on us and expects us to live by.

Father, the place of expectation begins in my heart when I say yes to You. Help me to live, not in my own strength but in Yours, as I live out this life You’ve ordained…amen.

No comments: