Thursday, November 24, 2011

Rulers in the Making


11.24.11

Matthew 19.28-30 28 Jesus said to them, “Truly I tell you, at the renewal of all things, when the Son of Man sits on his glorious throne, you who have followed me will also sit on twelve thrones, judging the twelve tribes of Israel. 29 And everyone who has left houses or brothers or sisters or father or mother or wife or children or fields for my sake will receive a hundred times as much and will inherit eternal life. 30 But many who are first will be last, and many who are last will be first. NIV

This is a pretty big promise: you who have followed me will also sit on twelve thrones, judging the twelve tribes of Israel. And it’s even bigger when you consider who Jesus made this promise to: twelve ordinary men in whom was little education and just about zero social status. Rulers? I think not!

This morning Cathy and I sat in the hospitality room of a hotel (we’re traveling for Thanksgiving) and I found myself, as I usually do, watching people. The room was full of ordinary looking folk; not too many rulers present it appeared. Most places are filled with ordinary folk. That doesn’t mean they don’t make good friends, good companions, or even good spouses in the right and proper way – but they are ordinary: congress and the world’s elite aren’t beating a path to their door seeking their wisdom and advice (they’d probably be better off if they did!)

So, when I read Jesus’ promise to His men, I thought about ordinary folk who may be rulers in the making by their association with, and belief in, Jesus. Think about your family: any rulers there? Well what about you? Do you dream about what Jesus is going to do with you one day down the road and can you see yourself judging your family (present and extended) because of what Jesus is in YOU!? Maybe you are the One they’ve all been waiting for… it could happen.

The issue isn’t so much as who you are, it’s more WHO is in you. The difference isn’t who you know, it’s Who knows you. I can’t imagine many of us getting up this Thanksgiving Day thinking about our future roles in Christ. But you know what: as sure as this day is here, that day is coming. Jesus helped His men see the bigger picture of what their lives were to be; and the Lord does the same for us if we’ll let Him and listen to Him.

What do you suppose Jesus’ words did to those men that day? How do you suppose they took it? (Who, US!?) What do you think about when you read these words in Matthew 19? Maybe you just have to be in the right mood. I guess I was this morning.

I am thankful this day that that thought invaded my mind. It elevated me to another place and plane of living. I am thankful for Christ in me, the Hope of glory. I am thankful for Jesus’ plans for me and for all of His followers, wherever they are, whatever they do. I’m thankful for a Hope and a future. I need to remember more often than once a year that Jesus is doing in us infinitely more than we can hope or imagine, and that in the ordinary-ness of our everyday life He is fully present shaping us into the people He’s called us to be.

Be blessed fellow Rulers in the Making! Happy Thanksgiving!

No comments: