Sunday, November 20, 2011

Dealing with Mountains



11.20.11

Matthew 5.1 1 Now when Jesus saw the crowds, he went up on a mountainside and sat down. His disciples came to him, 2 and he began to teach them. NIV

Part of the reason Jesus went up on a mountainside was it was easier for Him to project what He was going to say to these crowds. When I think of crowds, I think of the Oregon State Fair – there are crowds at the state fair. When I think of crowds, I think of a Boise State University football game – there are massive crowds of people at BSU games. So, regardless of whether we think there were lots of people or not, Jesus began to teach them. Matthew recorded there were crowds…we have to take Matthew at his word.

So, there were crowds but there was also a mountainside. I know it was where they were and I’m going to take a bit of license this morning because it’s often the mountains in life that need addressed: not the molehills. True we can make mountains out of molehills in our perspective or our attitude, but we deal with real mountains in our lives. A friend of mine was preaching one time and to the gathered crowd he said: Just go back to your neighborhood today and look up and down the street; seven out of ten homes in your neighborhood are in financial crisis! Financial crisis is a mountain… and there are many of those mountains out there these days.

Do you know anyone who’s been divorced? I do. I know dozens of people in my sphere of influence who’ve been divorced. Many, if not most of my kids friends have parents who’ve been divorced. Divorce is a relational mountain of selfishness and stubbornness. Not to indict those who’ve been divorced, but it is a mountainous problem in people’s lives today; the heartache and heartbreak is immeasurable. The effect on children is immeasurable.

I know Jesus went up on a mountain for reasons other than what I’m saying but in my perspective I think about the mountainous problems people face in their lives these days, and I’m of the opinion that listening to Jesus teach this Sermon might be the answer to what mountains – seemingly insurmountable mountains – people are looking at in their lives today – crowds of people; millions of people: sickness, poverty, hunger, disease, death...

One of the biggest mountains out there is the Mountain of No Answer. Many mountains can be overcome with a plan, hard work, and patience. But often many times the mountains are so big – so vast – that whatever effort we give to them seems so small and pathetic that we just give up. When there seems to be no answer people usually give up. Remarkably, when facing the Mountain of No Answer is when God often shows up. Remarkably as well, God speaks from the mountain, or from within the storm; or from within whatever is facing us… because God is not affected by mountains and He provides solutions to mountains to the humble and faithful one(s) who are looking for Him and will listen to Him.

The so-called Sermon on the Mount is a great place to start when faced with the mighty mountains of life. Psalm 121.1-2: I lift up my eyes to the mountains— where does my help come from? My help comes from the LORD, the Maker of heaven and earth. If you’re faced with an insurmountable mountain, look to the One who knows all about them and put His words into practice – through Him and by His word, those mountains will become molehills…

No comments: