Wednesday, December 14, 2016

Someone I Know

12/14/2016

Psalm 14.1 The fool says in his heart, “There is no God.” They are corrupt, their deeds are vile; there is no one who does good. - David

I read this today and said inwardly, “Oh No! I know someone personally who says in his heart, ‘There is no God!’” I think for the first time in my life, I came to a conclusion that I didn’t want to come to: someone I know (and love, and care for) has made a conscious decision to deny God. The word mercy, while prevalent throughout Scripture, is not found in Psalm 14. That thought made me sad. It alarmed me.

It is one thing to know of God yet never have anything to do with Him; but it is another to deny Him his deity and existence. (Frankly, I’m not comfortable with either scenario.) But isn’t this the essence of the magnitude of man: endowed by his Creator with inalienable rights, talents, and skills; yet a steadfast denial of God and His provenance?

With regard to the person in question, I believe more in his denial of the Church and her place, than in his utter denial of God. But one thing that is hand-in-glove in a denial of God: the denial of His people; a true and smug disdain for those who seek God’s truth and the life and friendship He offers. God-haters are also people-haters. That’s tragic in a variety of ways.

The word fool in Psalm 14 is a Hebrew word that denotes moral deficiency. We are all deficient in myriad ways. but moral deficiencies are the worst. There is no edit-button when morals are deficient. Decisions are based simply on personal feelings and preference, and there is no consideration for the effect those decisions may have in the lives of others. With little or no morals, one is left to his whims with no regard for the result. The consequence of a lack of morals could be compared to telling a raging, charging bear to: “STOP!” “SIT!” The bear knows no, no.

When we think of those who deny in their heart the existence and presence of God their moral deficiency ought to alarm us. It alarms me because I know of some that I am especially fond of who would spit in God’s face had they the opportunity to do so. Ah, but because they deny God’s existence, there is no face to spit into… I don’t believe in a-theism; I do believe in unbelief.

And then, this changes my prayer. My prayer changes from, bless this person, to, Lord, somehow, someway, save this person. Unbelief and denial are not just perspectives – they reveal a heart that is corrupt, sick, and dangerous. I don’t want to believe it’s true, but it’s true…

So, Lord, now I pray, in desperation, that their denial proves false. I know it’s false; You know it’s false. My prayer is that they come to the place where they know it’s false. Let it not be said that they are a true fool. May they simply be fooled, ah, but may they be saved from their foolery. I pray in hope Lord of Your of mighty power to influence. May it be so. Amen

No comments: