Friday, September 30, 2016

Tasting Salt

9/30/2016

Luke 14.34-35 “Salt is good, but if it loses its saltiness, how can it be made salty again? 35 It is fit neither for the soil nor for the manure pile; it is thrown out. “Whoever has ears to hear, let them hear.” – Jesus

I recently was invited to preach at a local church. Now, don’t get all excited, Turk gets rare invitations these days. And because the Great Salt Lick contest happened here in Baker the night before, I shared the word. I shared about salt. Specifically, this verse. What happens to salt which loses its taste?

It may be the Jesus version of “If a tree falls in the forest and no one is around to hear, does it still make a sound?” Except, Jesus wasn’t being cute, nor was He joking. He asked them, point blank: “…if salt loses its saltiness, how can it be made salty again?” Good question.

I have never tasted un-salty salt; I wouldn’t even have known it if I had; salt’s taste is why we call it salt.  The reality is: there is no such thing as un-salty salt. Salt only tastes salty because it is salt. And Jesus is right – if said salt becomes un-salty, then it’s worthless. An un-salty Christian is worthless. He cannot be the salt of the earth one moment, and not be so the next. Un-salty salt is impossible. It is not salt.

The point is: being the real deal because one claims to be the real deal. One cannot claim to be a follower of Jesus Christ and not be salty. If he does and isn’t (salty), then he’s a fraud. His motivation for saltiness is other than allegiance and devotion to the Lord of lords and King of kings.

What, in Biblical, spiritual, salvation are we saved from? And what are we saved to? These are huge questions because without the answer to them we might become tasteless salt. And if we become salty, what makes us un-salty? Can salt be mixed with other compounds to be made less salty?

The question is not what people think about our saltiness; the question is what does God think about our saltiness. People can be fooled. People can be snookered and deceived. Not God. God knows the heart. God knows the one who claims to be His but is tasteless as sand. If we claim to be His, we better be His, because He knows whether or not we are His. If He doesn’t give us life, then there ain’t no life.

Jesus shared His salty thoughts in the context of explaining to His hearers that there is an actual cost to discipleship; and one ought to carefully consider that cost before signing on the dotted line. That means knowing what the expectations are going to be.

I don’t make myself salty. That might be a natural reaction to my words: to think that one has control over his saltiness. Saltiness is. Or isn’t. A less than salty salt is no salt at all. Do I flavor and preserve people’s lives because of my saltiness? Or so people refer a low-sodium diet when I’m around? If God has indeed made me salty, then do I make a difference in my daily living for the benefit of others on God’s behalf?

Father, on that Great Day, You alone with be the Judge of Salt. You will reveal to each one, his measure of saltiness. That is something to remember, and something to often consider. May that be said of me – that I considered the cost… Amen

No comments: