Saturday, January 16, 2016

The Production Mentality of Small

1/16/2016

Luke 16.14 The Pharisees, who were lovers of money, heard all these things, and they ridiculed him. – St. Luke

This is not so much about Pharisees as it is about the things people love. People ridicule those who "attack" their placement of love: the things in which they find justification. I would apply this to most all people and not just the hyper types. There are those who believe, and then there are those who hyper-believe. The Pharisees were in the latter group.

The argument in Luke 16 was about money and justification. One of the biggest arguments in our own lives is about money…and justification. Ridicule comes when someone brings a perspective counter to our beloved conventional wisdom. Jesus was good at that. Jesus was ridiculed for His views of the inanities which people hold dear. His opinion of the Kingdom that drew the most ridicule.

The Pharisees knew about the power of money – what they didn’t understand was the power of God. They also understood the power of religion; what they misunderstood was the power of relationship. Jesus was a target for their ridicule over money because Jesus said to them (crazy) things like: No servant can serve two masters, for either he will hate the one and love the other, or he will be devoted to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve God and money.” (Luke 16.13)

Jesus also said to them: “You are those who justify yourselves before men, but God knows your hearts. For what is exalted among men is an abomination in the sight of God.” Hmmm. What do men exalt? They didn’t like what Jesus said so they chose to discredit Him by attempting to make Him look goofy. That’s the production mentality of small

Money is amoral. Money is just currency – it’s the oil we use to grease the skids of transaction. Money is worldwide; money is ubiquitous. Value and transaction are as common to man as breathing. It’s not money, but our love of money and this sense of entitlment which cause the most problems. Money buys the ultimate currency: power; and that is what Jesus was trying to help them (and us) avoid. The only power that is trustworthy and good is the power of God. The bad news for most of us is God’s power is not ours to control… We are restricted in what we desire to access.

I wasn’t sure what to concentrate on as I read and wrote this morning: money or power/control; ridicule, or relationship. It’s all there. The bottom line for me is: what is my relationship with money and how do I honor God with what He gives me? Do I even acknowledge that He gives me money? Do I recognize my understanding and attitude toward money is crucial toof my overall spiritual health and life? Why does the Bible spend so much time addressing wealth and my attitude toward it? No wonder the Pharisees were so hacked about Jesus’ comments – they wanted to keep God out of their business. They felt it was better if they did. The production mentality of small. What about you and me?


Lord God, give me wisdom with money; and while You’re at it, may I have some wisdom for life as well? May I know the difference between what is exalted-exalted and what is man-exalted on earth. Help me to serve You truly, honestly, and humbly making exalted use of the things You give me – Amen.

No comments: